Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

January 04, 2008

Taking Stupid Shots

As I posted earlier, I built up a tiny bankroll on Pokerstars by blowing a bunch of FPPs on single table satellites to the Sunday Hundred Grand and then unregistering. Given the fact that I didn't really care about this money, I decided to take some shots. The first one wasn't so bad. I registered for an $11 turbo tournament which ended up having 1066 players. I played excellent poker, got shafted in the end, and ended up finishing in 56th for a little more than double the buy-in.

The next day, since I'd played so well the night before, I took the dumbest chance of the three I took. I registered for the $55 buy-in $50k guaranteed tournament which ended up with 1382 players. I again played awesome poker. I don't think I've ever had a streak of deep runs in massive fields like this before. I ended up finishing this one in 27th for a $300+ win. I busted this tournament making the only "bad" play I'd made in two days. We were in a huge blind situation, and I get 89s in late position. I raise it up, committing about 20% of my stack, and guy to my left reraises me to about 50% of my stack. He'd pushed me off a few hands before, so I called this one, as I just didn't have the time to be super patient/tight. Flop is TJx rainbow, and I shove. Guy instacalls with AA, and I don't catch up. Looking back, I probably still play it the same way, given the table history and his aggressive tendencies.

Given the fact that I'd played so well the past two nights, last night I registered for a $22 heads-up tournament. If you are a decent heads-up player, this tournament is awesome. Three of my four opponents were just plain awful, and I defeated them and made it to the money without too much trouble. The last guy I played against was very good, though, and in the end it happened to be that I flopped top pair when he flopped a flush. He played the hand like he was on a draw, which he'd done a few times before in our match, and hooked me good.

So now my little $55 bankroll has multiplied almost sevenfold, and I have a decent $350+ bankroll to mess around with on Pokerstars. Even though I've been playing really well lately, I think I'm going to hold off on taking anymore chances in the near future and see if I can grow this little bankroll in a more proper way. Knowing me, that will probably get boring after a few weeks, and my disposition will change. I will be sure to let you all know the next time I mismanage my bankroll. Until then, you now have two sites where you can see me on the felt!

1 Comments:

  • Very nicely done! Those turbo $11 tournaments are crazy, but they can really pay off. Nice run, man. Great way to start 2008!

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 1/06/2008 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home