Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

October 11, 2007

And So It Goes...

It's been relatively uneventful for me recently on the poker front. I had a losing day sometime last week when I got it all in preflop with AA vs some dinky pair (6s or 8s or something). He not only flopped the set over me, but he rivered quads. Good times! The rest of the money I lost was when I had to fold mediocre hands to superior hands, and my big hands just haven't been getting paid of recently.

Other than that one losing day, I had several break even days. I would play a couple of tournaments, get nowhere, and win the entries back in the cash games. Earlier this week I played in three tournaments: the two Daily Doubles and a $3 rebuy. I got crushered out of one of the Doubles after I had built up a nice stack when some guy sucked out a straight or something like that, and I couldn't get anything going in the other Double. However, I went deep in the $3 rebuy and finished in the low 30s out of 600+ and ended up breaking even for the day.

Last night was my first profitable night in a long time. The only thing I played was the Mookie. I started off pretty slow, but ended up building a pretty good stack when I caught some guy making blocker bets to draw to his flush, and I went over the top with 3rd pair. Yes, my read was that strong.

I didn't suck out the entire tournament... until the final two tables. And boy did I suck out. My first one came when we were down to about 14 or so. I had 77 and a dwindling stack, and I ended up getting it all in against either TT or QQ or something like that. I nailed my seven on the river. At the final table I sucked out when I got it all in with TJs vs QQ. I flopped the queen high straight, and my opponent didn't fill to the full house on the turn or river, which I thought was pretty amazing. I also won with AJ over KK, but in fairness, all the money didn't go in until after the ace on the flop.

I ended up finishing in 3rd for $88 or so, which is not bad at all. This is the second time I've final tabled the Mookie, and the 2nd time I've cashed. It's also my best finish of the two times I final tabled. I seem to get close all the time, but for some reason I rarely go to the final nine. I had a great time playing with everyone last night, and I saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in a long time. Hopefully this is the beginning of an upswing. Good luck to the rest of you, and I will see you on the felt.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home