Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

July 16, 2007

Someone Get Me Off This Thing

I like thrills. I like to ride on all of the crazy rollercoasters and other rides at amusement parks. I even helped run the Skycoaster at Carowinds for a couple of summers when I was a teenager. These rides can make you feel like you're flying, falling, and zooming all over the place. Rollercoasters are fun!

Rollercoasters with your bankroll are NOT.

I have had the most crazy past few days at the cash game tables. I've been having 10%-20% swings on an almost daily basis for the past week or so. Luckily, I have ended the swings on the top end. I took a day off from the cash tables yesterday to catch my breath. I had all kinds of crazy situations come up over the past week.

I got three-outered and then four-outered two hands in a row for about 10% of my bankroll. All money went in on the turn both times. I ran AA into a baby set. I ran a flopped top two pair in the SB into the BB's flopped straight. I ran KK into AA.

But I also had some good hands. I flopped the nut straight against a guy who flopped the nut flush draw and got him to commit all of his chips on the turn. (It probably helped that he was 8-tabling). I had KK vs QQ, and it HELD UP! I flopped the nut straight with 6d8d on the button against two opponents. All the money goes in on the turn, and one guys flips a set while the other flips top pair and nut flush draw. The straight held, and I took a $300+ pot.

To be honest, these swings have left me pretty drained. I couldn't bring myself to sit down at the cash games yesterday (even though it was the weekend), but I knew I was not in the right frame of mind, so I just played a small $5 Limit Omaha Hi/Lo game for a change of pace and stability bankroll wise. I think I played pretty well, but a lot of my opponents were just plain awful, and I got kicked in the nuts several times. I didn't really care, since it was only a $5 game; it was pretty amusing to watch, actually.

This led me to post Matt's Musing #4 which is below. It's common sense, mathmatically, but I do still find it somewhat amusing.

Well, that's about all I got for today. The wife is out of town for the week at a conference in Colorado, so hopefully I will be trying my hand at some donkaments this week. I'm going to try and satellite into the 50/50 and also get some tokens for some of the nightly guarantees. See you on the felt!

11 Comments:

  • you should not be risking 10% of your bankroll on any day...

    http://thisguyistheman.blogspot.com

    By Blogger The Man, at 7/17/2007 2:29 PM  

  • You misunderstand. I was not risking 10% all at once. The combined total of the suckouts/coolers caused the swings to be in that range.

    I'm not going to stop playing any given day just because I dropped 10%, especially when it was because I was three- or four-outered. If I am getting my money in with the best of it, I will continue to play.

    If I lose 10% because I'm playing like a dumbass, then I will step away, but this was not the case the past few days. I have been in a very good spot mentally, but the cards have been especially volatile. I was able to play through the downswings and end the week with an increased bankroll.

    Thanks for the comment!

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 7/17/2007 3:20 PM  

  • thats very poor bankroll management.

    By Blogger The Man, at 7/17/2007 5:30 PM  

  • >>I got three-outered and then four-outered two hands in a row for about 10% of my bankroll. All money went in on the turn both times. I ran AA into a baby set. I ran a flopped top two pair in the SB into the BB's flopped straight. I ran KK into AA.

    that is not getting it in with the goods. cooler or not

    By Blogger The Man, at 7/17/2007 5:34 PM  

  • I would say getting it in on the turn with my opponent only have 3 or 4 outs is very much getting it in with the goods. If you think otherwise, then I'm not sure what game you're playing. Sitting around and waiting for the absolute nuts is not good poker.

    Also, if you're folding KK preflop at $100NL, you're insane.

    I will admit that I made a mistake with the AA and the baby set. I should have been able to get away from that hand, as the flop was three to a flush, and I did not have the ace of that suit. But the guy to my right was such a donkey that I couldn't help myself that hand. He'd have played it the same way with top pair or a flush draw.

    The fact is I'm not playing the high stakes games that you seem to play. A lot of the players at my current level are more than willing to put their entire stack in with incredibly inferior hands and crappy draws. Occasionally I will run into the better hands, but so far my style has been profitable at this level.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 7/17/2007 7:11 PM  

  • why is it insane to fold kk preflop at $100nl?

    aa, against a pair and a flush draw on the flop is only 50%.

    i understand that the quality of play at lower stakes is lacking, but you need to adjust your game to compensate for that. you should be folding more. it is tough to outplay people at those stakes.

    By Blogger The Man, at 7/17/2007 8:51 PM  

  • It's insane because the range of hands that will go all-in preflop at $100NL is too large. The EV that you are giving up by folding KK preflop at $100NL is WAY more than the EV that you lose when you run into AA and when those other inferior hands happen to crack your kings.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 7/17/2007 9:12 PM  

  • yes, agreed, but how many times have you run into aa pre flop when you know he has aces and call anyways? happened quite frequently when i was down there.

    By Blogger The Man, at 7/17/2007 10:00 PM  

  • my point is that math, game theory, etc is just one element in your decision arsenal. psychology plays an important role as well

    By Blogger The Man, at 7/17/2007 10:34 PM  

  • I will definitely agree with you there.

    I'll adjust what I said before; never folding KK is too absolute. If I have been playing with someone for a while and I have a strong read that he/she has AA, then I will fold. However, that is an extreme rarity, especially since I play almost exclusively online.

    When all you have to work with is betting patterns and the chat box, the situation is a little more closed than when you are playing live and can observe the person's mannerisms.

    Thank you for the interesting discussion.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 7/17/2007 10:48 PM  

  • ive been trying to figure that out for as long as i have been playing online poker. at those stakes, sometimes you encounter a play so odd that you just know. i still think there is a certain "feel" to an online game.

    By Blogger The Man, at 7/18/2007 12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home