Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

July 30, 2007

Shark Bites Hurt As Much As You Think They Do

I didn't expect to post anything while I was down here in the Outer Banks on vacation, but it looks like I'm going to have a lot of time for it, since I'm holed up in the beach house on the couch. I expected to see some marine life while down here in the Outer Banks on vacation, to be sure. What I did NOT expect to see were freaking sharks. And I'm not talking about your little teeny nurse sharks either. I'm talking about sand tiger sharks.



I looked them up on the internet, and according to this entry they are considered to be harmless. Well, apparently one of these bastards decided not to play by the rules. So we're out playing around in the ocean, just minding our own business, when all of sudden there is this searing pain in my right leg. I don't think I've ever yelled that loud in my entire life. My immediate thought was that I had been stung by a jellyfish. That thought was quickly proven false when the water around me started to turn red. It was pretty much the most frightening thing that's ever happened to me. I thought I was going to die. My wife started freaking out and yelled for my friend to help get me to shore.

I managed to hobble on to the shore with my friend helping, and the wife ran inside to call for an ambulance. I collapsed on the beach and looked down to see half of my calf muscle hanging off my leg. I'm pretty sure I started going into shock at this point, as I don't remember much between then and the hospital. The resulting injury is not pretty. I've posted a picture of it further down, but it's pretty graphic. If that kind of thing bothers you, you probably don't want to scroll any further. You have been warned.


























































































Did you honestly think I was sitting here making a blog post after getting half of my leg bitten off by a shark? Come on now. Have a good work week everyone! I'll be playing on the beach!

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home