Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

July 26, 2007

Life Tilt. AGAIN.

So what's put me on tilt this time? Well, it's definitely much worse than some dumbass trying to steal my cable. I've noticed that I tend to swear a good bit in my tilting posts. If that bothers you, don't read on. I get extremely pissed off, and it's either vent it here or beat someone with a lead pipe. If you would like to volunteer for the beating, I will tone the language down.

So, I get home yesterday to a letter from Allstate saying that my insurance policy has been cancelled due to lack of payment. Ummm...what the hell? The check was sent out weeks ago. I called the wife to confirm this, and she did. I checked the counters and behind the couch to make sure it hadn't accidentally fallen somewhere, but that check was most definitely sent.

She called me back a few minutes later to ask if any of the other checks she wrote that day had cleared. I log in to Bank of America only to find that both our phone bill and our mortgage payment had not been cashed either. It looks like either a) someone stole these items with the intent of cashing the checks for themselves, or b) the more likely scenario that the post office completely fucked up and lost three of our bills. I do so love the reliable federal government and the services I pay for with my tax dollars.

I called up Allstate at their 24 hour support line and was able to make our payment via credit card over the phone, but the guy could not guarantee me that my policy would be reinstated. I have to call back in a couple of days to see if it has been renewed or not. He said he was pretty sure that it would be, since we had always been on time in our payments before, so hopefully it won't be an issue. It's a wait and see situation at the moment.

The phone bill we ended up paying online. We would have been doing that in the first place if Cavalier Telephone hadn't all of a sudden started charging its customers to pay their bills online. Seriously, what the hell is that all about? It is actually BETTER for them if we pay online. They don't have to have some minimum wage clerk opening up letters and endorsing checks all day. Fucking idiots. Service based businesses like phone companies and banks are just licenses to steal. They'd charge you a fee for charging you a fee if it wouldn't end up in an infinite loop and crash their systems.

Since these checks are lost, I have to go online to stop payments on them in case some tool tries to steal my money. I go to the stop payment page, and there's a notice buried in three paragraphs of text that says a fee may apply to stop payment requests. I didn't even see that until today when Courtney called and said we were charge NINETY DOLLARS in fees to cancel those checks. Unbelievable. This kind of "business" makes me sick. It's just blantant theft. If this were the old west, the bank owner would be hanging from a tree. But it's not the old west; it's 2007, where businesses are protected by buying off politicians who won't legislate against this kind of shit.

The only bright aspect of this entire situation is that our mortgage payment isn't due until the 1st of August, and we have time to send out another check. Hopefully it will arrive in time, as our mortgage company is like 15 miles away from us in Silver Spring. That is, if the post office can do its job correctly. Who knows if that will happen or not. I won't know until I get a notice saying that they are foreclosing on my house.

4 Comments:

  • Your foul language on this blog fucking pisses me off jackass.

    I keed, I keed.

    Why in the hell are you not having auto drafts done on your account. Or at the very least making your payments online through your bank so the onneous can be put on your bank if there are any issues.

    Do you remember the funny skit from Conan O'Brien back in the day where his sidekick Andy would be in a dark room with a flashlight to his face and say...

    "...In the year two thousand..."

    Yeah, it's high time you enter the year 2000 dude.

    Just my 1 1/2 cents...

    Lataz,

    TripJax

    By Blogger TripJax, at 7/26/2007 3:00 PM  

  • I actually plan on setting up the online bill pay through the bank today.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 7/26/2007 3:05 PM  

  • Good call. This sentence is way overused with technology these days...but "I don't know how I lived without it..."

    By Blogger TripJax, at 7/26/2007 4:31 PM  

  • I haven't paid a bill by actually writing out a check in probably 3 years at least.

    And don't worry, I had my car insurance canceled because of a similar eff-up, in this case on the company's part, and they gave me the exact same line about not guaranteeing that my policy could still be reinstated. My previous payment history was perfect, no unusual or frequent claims, etc., and they re-insured me right quick.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 7/26/2007 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home