Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

July 18, 2007

An Interesting Hand

I played this hand last night at a $100NL cash game. I'd like to see how you all would have handled it, as I thought it was pretty interesting. I encourage you to answer the questions in your head as you read the post, so as not to let future action dictate your decisions.

---

Seat 1: samoraee ($90.75)
Seat 2: fiyaman01 ($21.90)
Seat 3: Tufro ($101.35)
Seat 4: billy ho 1 ($33.50)
Seat 5: Suter15 ($85.55)
Seat 6: Hero ($141.60)
Seat 7: AO1715 ($120.35)
Seat 8: nique03 ($81.70), is sitting out
Seat 9: midnight234 ($89.10)
Hero posts the small blind of $0.50
AO1715 posts the big blind of $1
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [5h 7h]
midnight234 folds
samoraee raises to $2
fiyaman01 folds
Tufro folds
billy ho 1 folds
Suter15 folds
Hero calls $1.50
AO1715 folds
*** FLOP *** [4d 4c 6d]

So the guy chooses to min raise pre-flop. Usually at this limit, this kind of play indicates one of two things: the guy is a bad player, or the guy has a monster hand. I hadn't played many hands with this guy so I couldn't be sure. Either way, I felt both my implied and actual odds were good enough for the call preflop, even though I am out of position. The flop gives me an OESD and has two diamonds.

Question 1: What is your play here? Do you check or do you bet?









Hero checks
samoraee bets $3

My opponent continues by betting $3 into a $5 pot.

Question 2: What is your play here? Do you call, raise, or fold?








Hero calls $3

I decided to call here since almost any pokertard would bet at that board when checked to. I decided to float and either try to steal the pot when a diamond comes or hope to make my straight.


*** TURN *** [4d 4c 6d] [3d]

I've made my straight on the turn, but it has also completed the flush.

Question 3: Do you lead out at this board? It is paired, and there are three to a flush. However, your opponent hasn't really shown any true strength yet.









Hero bets $7

Personally, I think this is the perfect kind of board to bet on. There are a lot of hands that utterly destroy my opponent's range, and I have a made hand myself.

samoraee raises to $14

A min raise? That seems very odd for how this hand has played out thus far.

Question 4: What do you do now? Do you call, re-raise, or fold?









Hero calls $7

I called here because the min raise just didn't smell right. If you have a great hand here, wouldn't you just call and give your opponent the opportunity to continue firing into you on the river? I just didn't feel like I was beat here, so I called.

*** RIVER *** [4d 4c 6d 3d] [7c]
Hero checks
samoraee bets $39

I checked the river with the feeling that he would most likely give up on this hand. However, our friend finally decides to show some strength and fires a pot sized bet off.

Question 5: What is your move now? Do you call, reraise, or fold? What kind of hands do you place my opponent on?

5 Comments:

  • You have to call, since you chose to call and not re raise on the turn with they hope that he would bluff at river. To me it smells like AA-QQ possible AK, if it is the AK you could be toast since I would say AdKd

    By Blogger oossuuu754, at 7/18/2007 11:17 AM  

  • I agree with osu, I see a pocket overpair here, maybe including the Ace of diamonds to explain the strength shown on the turn card.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 7/19/2007 5:22 PM  

  • he has 66 I'm guessing. that would explain the minraise preflop and the minraise on the turn. Would be very weird for him to fire out a pot sized bet on that board with an overpair (unless he's a donk, which clearly is possible). Or, he has something like Ad Jd, Ad Td, Kd Qd. You're probably beat, but because the board is paired and flushed, not that hard to get away.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2007 4:27 PM  

  • My first thought was a medium pair, like 7s or 6s, probably with a diamond. The action postflop makes me think that any overpair or AKd would be possible, but with the preflop action, I wouldn't put him on anything higher than 99 or 2 medium-strong diamonds (AJ - for you, Hoy :), KJ, AT, etc.). And with the strength on the river, I'd say overpair or a flush.

    My .02

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 7/20/2007 4:48 PM  

  • Although looking at that board, he's probably playing a s00ted 57, only with diamonds. As much as I hate folding made hands, I'd say fold. You've shown a willingness to call him preflop and on the flop. He probably figured you'd call a minraise on the turn when he hit his flush. And since you led out on the turn, he probably figured you for something on the turn, a str8, a lower flush, or maybe 2 pair. Either way, unless you were playing 7s or 4s out of the SB, he figures he's got you beaten, so why not lead out with a big bet.

    OK. Theres .04.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 7/20/2007 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home