Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

July 27, 2007

Another Interesting Hand: Part 2

You people are horrible about responding to questions, and I know you're reading these because I can see it in my stat counter. Garth was the only one who responded to the post (DC represent!), so he gets the title of Coolest Blogger for the week. WTG, Garthmeister.

I last left off with me having to make a big decision for my tournament life with AdQs on a jack high all diamond board. I ended up folding it. I knew for a fact that this woman had a jack; I did not put her on the set. The reason I folded this hand is because I thought that my ace was dead. If I thought that the ace and queen were both live, I would have pushed with the nut flush draw and two overs. The way she had been playing, I put her squarely on the jackace.

I finally folded, and she flipped over the ace of spades and jack of clubs. I had been correct that my ace was dead. In hindsight, I kind of wish I had taken my chance with the 11 outs there because after the blinds went up, I didn't get crap for hands. I ended up busting when I pushed with AJ and was called by AA. Live poker is rigged.

I will no longer be playing that tournament at the Showboat. I think they changed the structure, as the blinds seemed to go up a lot faster (every 15 mins) than what I remember before. I think it used to be a half hour. There are no antes in the structure, but the blinds still shoot up entirely too fast for my tastes. Can anyone recommend a good tournament to play in Atlantic City in the $100-$200 range?

In other news, I'm heading out of town tomorrow to go the Outer Banks for a week. I can't wait. I haven't had a vacation since Christmas. I will have the laptop with me, but I probably won't be spending a lot of time on it. I might play a tournament or two a couple of nights. We'll have to wait and see. I hope the rest of you have a good week, and until next time, I will see you on the felt.

2 Comments:

  • Hello, this is my first time on the site so forgive me if I am missing something on the post. I am confused about the hand here. First, When your tourney life was on the line with your aq, how much money was in the pot?, what was the preflop action and stack sizes? How can you know for a fact she had a jack? I mean even if she is 90 percent to have a jack I am thinking it changes things.
    Andrew Batkin

    By Blogger Andrew Batkin, at 7/28/2007 5:46 PM  

  • Hi, Andrew. Thanks for stopping by. You can find all the details of how this hand was set up in the original post here.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 7/28/2007 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home