Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

June 22, 2007

Hundred Seat Guarantee: Hand #1

I'm going to run a series of hands over the next few days that I played during the 100 Seat Guarantee last Sunday. I would like to get your input on these hands to see if I should have maybe played them differently. So, without further ado, here's hand #1.

Circumstances: 8th hand of the tournament. The guy to my left (styleWcash) has already proven himself to be a somewhat loose player and has chipped up a bit in the process.

Full Tilt Poker Game #2693777482: Main Event 100 Seat Guarantee (16050138), Table 256 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 18:08:16 ET - 2007/06/17
Seat 1: kaellinn18 (2,985)
Seat 2: styleWcash (3,735)
Seat 3: wouldman (2,820)
Seat 4: ASTON DBS (2,705)
Seat 5: FollowMyRuin (3,105)
Seat 6: tireman1234 (3,565)
Seat 7: BigSteveEli (1,185)
Seat 8: Bonaparte9 (3,930)
Seat 9: MadMaestro (2,970)
Bonaparte9 posts the small blind of 15
MadMaestro posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to kaellinn18 [Js Ad]
kaellinn18 raises to 90
styleWcash calls 90
wouldman folds
ASTON DBS folds
FollowMyRuin has 15 seconds left to act
FollowMyRuin is sitting out
FollowMyRuin has timed out
FollowMyRuin folds
tireman1234 folds
BigSteveEli folds
Bonaparte9 folds
MadMaestro folds
*** FLOP *** [9c Qd 6d]
kaellinn18 bets 150
styleWcash calls 150
*** TURN *** [9c Qd 6d] [2h]

Question #1: Does anyone fold AJo UTG? It seems like a pretty nitty play, especially this early in the tournament. Just curious if any one would fold it.

Question #2: Does anyone fire the second bullet on the turn? Or do you check here? He could most definitely be on a flush draw at this point, and I would think he'd have raised it with a Q in his hand. It's also possible he had some kind of straight draw that whiffed on the turn as well.

I will post the results of the hand as soon as I get some feedback.

4 Comments:

  • i hate picking up AJo UTG. i will sometimes limp with it in that spot. but, most of the time i played it the same way u did. if i get a call on the c-bet and don't improve on the turn, i'm don with it. check/fold

    By Blogger smokkee, at 6/25/2007 5:52 AM  

  • I am probably limping with AJo UTG this early in a tourney that has a slow blind structure. It is so hard to put some of your opponents on ranges this early, especially in a tourney that had so many sats to it.

    I think you have to check/fold on the turn. No sense in investing any more here IMO.

    By Blogger cmitch, at 6/25/2007 12:06 PM  

  • I'm a nit so I will fold. I used to raise but not anymore. IMO, from UTG, it's spewage only because the only hands that will call you are probably ahead. AND you're OOP. I think with a slow blind structure, I'd rather play hands like suited connectors in position where I can hit it big or get out. I mean what if an A hits and you bet, you get called. Do you keep firing out bullets until you realize the guy has a better kicker? AJ is just too hard to play OOP, IMO.

    By Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage, at 6/25/2007 12:55 PM  

  • I fold that one pre-flop...that being said, where you find yourself on the turn I would fire another bullet there. If that doesn't buy the hand, you have to check fold the river or a re-raise on the turn.

    By Blogger surflexus, at 6/28/2007 1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home