Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

January 06, 2007

Rebuy Madness On Absolute

On a whim today, I decided to enter a $2 rebuy tournament. I only rebought one time, and at the first break I made a double add on (one of the things I like about the AP rebuy structure). Total investment: $8. Man, I saw some absolutely awful MTT play today, but I guess that's expected at a tournament of this buy-in level. It worked out for me, because I ended up finishing third, more than doubling my bankroll! I sucked out on the final table once or twice, but who doesn't when you go deep in one of these things? I'm very satisfied with my play, and I don't think I would have changed anything that I did. Here's hoping this good run keeps up for the rest of the year!

4 Comments:

  • Congrats, well done!!

    By Blogger presidentdave, at 1/08/2007 8:38 AM  

  • Great to see a nice cash that built up the bankroll. Any suggestions on how to play cheap MTTs?

    By Anonymous Neil, at 1/08/2007 12:25 PM  

  • wtg Matt!

    By Blogger smokkee, at 1/08/2007 12:33 PM  

  • Thanks, guys. Glad there are still a few people who read this thing occasionally.

    As for playing cheap tournaments, the main thing I keep in mind is that the majority of the field in these tournaments does not have a grasp on the strategies necessary to make it deep in an MTT. (Read Harrington on Hold'em Vols. 1 and 2 for more information on these strategies.)

    This means that for the first hour or so, you will be running into a lot of people overplaying poor and mediocre hands, allowing you to build a decent stack early on. This also means that a lot of players will be weak and fold to aggression, so continuation bets are a must in most situations.

    However, the flip side of this is that when people do decide to play these hands, it leads to more suckouts. I think it's a good idea to be careful and do your best to control the size of the pot when playing a weaker hand like TPTK. Keep an eye out for strong drawing boards people may run with, regardless of the poor odds you may offer them.

    As the field narrows, most of the remaining players will have a general idea of what hand ranges are good to play, but will play overly tight. Many people will not steal to keep ahead of the blinds. If your table is playing extra tight in the mid-game, ramp up the aggression a bit when in position. This is a great opportunity to increase your stack size.

    Hope this helps a bit.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 1/08/2007 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home