Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

September 07, 2006

The Perfect Table

I sat down at what turned out to be the perfect table in $50NL last night. The guy to my right was incredibly loose pre-flop, and yet he was incredibly tight post-flop. I do not think I've run into this combination in a player before, and it definitely took some getting used to. I was always expecting a continuation bet of some sort, but 75% of the time it never came. He would raise almost any unraised pot, so if I wanted to play a hand, all I had to do was come along for the ride.

I could have reraised him on some hands, yes, but I found out that the best way to deal with this player was to just flat call any raise he made if I wanted to play. He was never able to get any information on my hand, so when he inevitably missed the majority of his flops and checked to me, I would bet out, and he would have to assume he was beat. For some reason, he never check-raised me on a board that he hit; he would always lead out, making any decisions on my part incredibly easy.

He had bought in short for $33, and within about twenty minutes his loose/passive style had somehow built him up to about $140. This was mostly due to a few suckouts and several sets he had hit. Over the next two hours, though, I was able to get almost his entire stack away from him by just playing smart, aggressive, and observant poker.

After about an hour of playing with this guy, someone sat down to my left who was also a bit laggy. But this guy had a massive tell. He would always massively overbet his mid-strength pairs preflop. When he made this raise/reraise of about 6x, you could narrow his range to precisely 88, 99, TT, or JJ. It was uncanny. I ended up getting a buy-in and a half from him with KK over JJ and JJ over 99. He even stayed in the hand to the tune of his whole stack with the 99 with two overcards on the board! After I reraised him!

After about two hours, I was up three buy-ins, and it was time for bed. The streak of bad variance seems to have ended for now, partially because of cards, and probably also due to the fact that I have tightened up considerably. Hopefully my adjustment in play will continue to keep me from losing too many buy-ins in the future. Good luck to the rest of you, and I will see you on the felt.

4 Comments:

  • From reading a lot of other poker blogs (as well as myself) a lot of the poker bloggers are getting through their rough variance patch just fine. I hope it keeps woking in your favor!

    By Anonymous Neil, at 9/07/2006 1:26 PM  

  • Congratulations on continuing this fine run you're on. May it last as long as possible man. And best of luck in the Sunday stars million. Dam I wish I could ever play in that event. But it is just not meant to be.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 9/07/2006 4:10 PM  

  • Hoy, I'm surprised that you haven't bought into the Sunday Million directly at least once since you took down the Party $40k. Sure, it's not something you'd do on a regular basis, but surely your bankroll can handle a one-time attempt at the big money.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 9/07/2006 4:15 PM  

  • dude, i made it into PokerStars Sunday Million$$$.


    GL

    By Blogger smokkee, at 9/09/2006 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home