Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

June 08, 2006

She Loves Me, She Hates Me

I was going to post a little rant today about how I dropped $200 last night, half of it to someone who got lucky with a dominated pair, and half of it to someone playing a horrible hand who shouldn't have been in the pot in the first place. But after reading Wes' latest post, I just don't have the right to say anything. The fact is Lady Variance can be both loving and giving as well as cruel and heartless, and it's just something we have to learn to live with.

One of the differences between a good player and a bad player is the ability to recognize that these things will happen, but that you will be able to overcome it in the long run. I hope the Lady is treating the rest of you better than Wes and I. At least I was able to recover $20 of my loss fairly quickly at $3/$6 Stud before I went to bed.

---

I played in the Mookie last night as well, which is always a fun game. I was insanely card dead for the first 40 minutes or so. I mean, it was bad. The best hand I saw was 66. The best ace I saw was A9. So I did a whole lot of folding, watching my stack dwindle. I finally managed to double up to a good size when I caught a set of 5s against someone who thought going all in with KJ and top pair was a good idea.

After the first break I started to catch some cards, but I wasn't able to get much action. The blinds steadily increased, and soon I was in push/fold mode with an M of 6. The end for me came when someone raised 3x on the button, as he had consistently done for the past four orbits or so. I look down at ATs (THE LAMER!), and I decide to push, knowing that this hand is always the death of me. The guy insta-calls with... 77? I'm not sure why he would call off 70% of his stack with a hand that at best was 50% to win, but whatever. I hit my ace on the flop, but the guy rivered his two outer set on me. RiverStars is back in form! I was wondering why I didn't get rivered out of the WWdN on Tuesday; for some reason, I was able to do the rivering in a couple of hands (like busting Wil). Must have been a bug in the software. Or Otis fell asleep at the Big Red Button.

Oh well, it was a fun time as always. Thanks to Mookie for hosting, and congrats to Waffles, JJOK, Hoyazo, Mookie, and Duggle for making the final table! My condolences to Chris who was unfortunately the bubble boy. Good luck at the tables tonight everyone!

3 Comments:

  • Thanks for playing last night, figured you would still be hungover from the big WWdN celebration, but you played great.

    By Anonymous mookie99, at 6/08/2006 11:41 AM  

  • Fitting Matt.

    I was thinking about a rant post today after two brutal suckouts but I hung tough and hit a set of 5s to stack KK and AA.

    A strange game we play!

    By Blogger Miami Don, at 6/08/2006 10:44 PM  

  • Thanks for the sympathy. Good luck this weekend.

    By Blogger drewspop, at 6/09/2006 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home