Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

June 07, 2006

He's On Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiire

/NBA Jam
//slashtastic

I'm totally amped right now. I went into the WWdN tonight expecting to do pretty well and possibly make the money, but... well, just look for yourself.



Booyah! I ended up taking taking down the whole thing! It may sound arrogant, but my initial thought was, "It's about time." I've come close to winning this and other MTTs several times, but I could just never take those last few steps. It was pretty irritating. I'm glad that Lady Variance has finally chosen to smile on me. It's a nice feeling.

Of course, a lot of it is also due to the change in my MTT mid-game. Thanks to Harrington's books and reading some of Hoyazo's tournament strategy recaps, I have definitely made a big leap in this area. Up to about a month ago, I was definitely being too tight in the mid-game, and I'm sure that this had a lot to do with why I could never take one down. I would always hit the final table as a short stack and automatically be in push/fold mode. Recently, I have been hitting the final tables as one of the chip leaders, which allows me a lot more freedom in hand selection, as well as the ability to bully some of the smaller stacks with less than stellar hands.

Oh, and there's also some icing on this cake.



Yep, I busted out the man himself in third place at the final table. Oh man, and what a final table. This was definitely the toughest one I've been seated at. There were definitely no slackers here, and everyone was being aggressive. The only reason I made it as far as I did at the final table was that I won several key races. Of course, I'm sure that's true of any MTT. The final three between myself, Wil, and Mungo lasted for a loooooooong time. Mungo started out with a huge chip lead on Wil and myself, but we were able to chip up some. When the third break rolled around, we were all evenly stacked, with me having a slight chip lead.

I came out of the break roaring. I hit some cards preflop, finally, and I was able to steal a few pots with no opposition. With blinds as high as they were, this gave me a much higher chip lead. A few hands later I caught KJo in the SB, and I raised into Wil, whose stack was dwindling. He pushed with what turned out to be Ace-small, and I called. He hit his small on the flop, but I rivered a K.

Heads-up lasted only one hand, I think. I was the SB with 56o, and I completed. Mungo raised me a little bit, and I called. I hit bottom pair on a flop of Q75. Mungo pushed in front of me, and I went in to the tank a bit. I came to the conclusion that if he had a hand, he would not have pushed because he would want a call. Plus I was getting about 3-2 odds. I decided to call, and he showed his J9 bluff. He didn't improve, and I emerged the champion!

Thanks to everyone who was there railing. The chat was a blast as always, and it's always nice to have people rooting for you. Thanks to Wil for hosting and being gracious with my river suckout. And here's a third sentence so that this is technically a complete paragraph. I know I started it with a conjunction. You got a problem with that?

What a great way to start off June!

8 Comments:

  • Congrats Matt! Great job.

    By Blogger drewspop, at 6/07/2006 5:56 AM  

  • Wow, Congrats Matt, sorry I missed it.

    By Blogger presidentdavelee, at 6/07/2006 7:00 AM  

  • Congrats Matt. I could tell in the chat that you were in the zone.

    Cya tonight.

    G

    By Blogger GaryC, at 6/07/2006 10:55 AM  

  • Great job, Matt. See what a nice effect playing with my money has for you! You know you entered this with the cash you and I swapped yesterday. So I like to think you picked up some mojo from me in that transaction, and since I couldn't be there to play last night, you managed to ride my mojo and your mad skillz to victory without me. Very impressive man, and well deserved.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 6/07/2006 12:11 PM  

  • Great job last night. Nice chunk of change too.

    By Anonymous mookie99, at 6/07/2006 12:23 PM  

  • Thanks everyone! Actually, Hoy, the money from you went to Sun Poker for my PSO promotion, where I rode your mojo and my mad skillz to a nice cash win, jumping my bankroll to over $1k! So thanks. :-)

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 6/07/2006 12:44 PM  

  • Excellent, Matt! Well done! Better than I did yesterday; I was in Vegas and didn't win in the tourney or the cash game that I played. But, I only regret a few of my decisions in those games, so the losses don't sting as much. I'm glad you finally won a WWdN! See you at the tables soon.

    By Blogger yestbay, at 6/07/2006 3:55 PM  

  • I do believe the raise was to 7.5k up from 2k... but yeah it was bottom pair... again great read and look forward to seeing you at the tables again.

    Going to try to defend my WWdn: Not The title tonight!

    By Blogger Guin, at 6/08/2006 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home