Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

June 01, 2006

A Decent Finish

I played in the Mookie last night, and it was definitely a good game. I think this was one of the most fun blogger tournaments that I've played in to date. Almost everyone showed up for this one, including Pauly. I started off pretty well, winning a big pot in the first few hands from jjok with 88 on a ten high board. I'm pretty sure I was ahead, but we were both betting pretty aggressively.

I made it through the first break easily, and then round two started. I don't really have any specifics to give, unfortunately, but I do know that I played my best mid-game ever last night. The middle round(s) of a tournament have definitely been my weakest point in the past, but last night I lossened my starting requirements, upped the aggression factor just a bit, and ended up going into the final table about 3rd in chips or so.

And what a final table. There were tons of familiar faces, among them Waffles, Gary, Dave, Jordan, and Tripjax. Someone I didn't know was the first to bust out in a race when his AQ couldn't take down Gary's pocket 5s. Trip was next out, as he was on a short stack and was forced to push. I busted out Jordan in 7th when his QJ couldn't suck out on my KK.

Unfortunately, my run was about to end. I found AK in middle position, and raised it up about 4x. It folded around to Waffles in the BB who made an enormous raise. He had done this before to me, and I had folded, so I put him on a steal. I just couldn't put him on either AA or KK since I was holding one of each. I pushed, and he called with AA. Ouch. The ONE time he wasn't playing 24s. I didn't suck out, and I went out in 6th on the next hand when I pushed with an M of less than 1. Waffles ended up putting my chips to good use, though, as he ended up taking down the whole thing. Nicely played, sir. And congrats to everyone else who made the final table as well.

Tonight I'm hoping to play my Step 2 game on Party. Four steps to go to big money! Here's hoping...

3 Comments:

  • Thanks for playing and congrats on the final table, you played great !

    By Anonymous mookie99, at 6/01/2006 3:13 PM  

  • Well played last night, I think I was the victim of most of that aggression being on your immediate right for a bit. You were definetely doing something right. The AK v. AA hand was rough, but it happens. Hope to see you at another final table soon.

    By Blogger presidentdavelee, at 6/01/2006 3:41 PM  

  • Thanks man! Good job!

    By Blogger SirFWALGMan, at 6/01/2006 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home