Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

June 15, 2006

Blogger Events

I played in both the WWdN and the Mookie this week, but I didn't money in either of them. I was eliminated from both tournaments as a result of aggressive moves in the mid-game, both of which I'm happy with. Allow me to present them here for discussion.

WWdN

The Setup: It's in the second hour of the tournament, and I have a stack size of around 3800. The blinds are at 100/200 with no antes, and I get dealt AJc UTG after having been card dead for a little while. I raised it up 3.5x here, and I get called by the button only. The pot is now 1700.

Flop: AsQcXc

I lead out for 1000 here, and the button pushes. He has me covered, but just barely.

Question: Do you call your last 2100 with top pair and the nut flush draw for a pot of 5800ish?

What I Did: I did call here. I was getting just shy of 3-1 pot odds to make this call. The flush draw alone is about 3-1, but I also had top pair here. It was possible (though unlikely) I was facing a weaker hand, and even if he had me beat, I could outdraw him. Also, if I win this hand, I'm in the top five in chips, and I have an almost guaranteed seat at the final table. If I fold this hand, I'm left with 2100, 300 of which will be gone in the blinds in the next two hands if I don't hit a playable hand, leaving me with an M of 6. That's square in the yellow zone, and not where I'd like to be.

Results: The button flips over AQ for top two pair. The turn is another queen, giving him the nuts. I'm dead to the last ace on the river, but instead I make my flush with the 2c.

The Mookie

The Setup: I am again in the second hour of the tournament. I have a top 10 chip stack of 3500ish with about 25 players left. Blinds are again 100/200, and I am dealt AKo UTG. I raise it up 4x, and it folds around to the cutoff who pushes for 1600. The pot is now 2300 and costs me 1200 to call.

Question: Do you call?

What I Did: I don't believe this should require that much thought. My opponent had been fairly loose and was sitting with an M of slightly over 5. He's most likely pushing here (with a raiser in front) with any pocket pair 7s+, an ace that's probably not as good as mine, or possibly even two paint cards. The only hands I'm really dead to are AA and KK. If I win this hand, I'm top five in chips and knock out a player. If I fold, I still have a decent stack, but the blinds are going to hit me in the next two hands. If I lose, I'm in the yellow zone, but still alive. Given the wide range I put him on, I think I have to call.

Results: He flips over TT, and I lose the race. This put me in a bad spot, especially once the blinds take 300 more from me. I end up pushing later with 77 into TT and bust out.

What do you guys think of my plays here? I'm pretty sure I played it right. I made these plays with what I believed were good odds in order to push myself into a great spot for the remainder of the tournament. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here.

4 Comments:

  • The wwdn hand was a little aggressive. If I play it, I limp and probably even fold to a raise because of the distinct possibility of being dominated.

    I call the Mookie push in a heartbeat.

    I missed it last night. I was too tired, which is highly unusual for me. I will be back at it next week for sure.

    By Blogger drewspop, at 6/15/2006 12:55 PM  

  • i would've played both hands the same way.

    By Blogger smokkee, at 6/15/2006 1:29 PM  

  • Standard for me. I never open-limp at a no-limit table.

    By Blogger Wes, at 6/15/2006 2:08 PM  

  • no issue with either play. Just bad timing or bad luck.

    BTW, I can't believe you posted the hate tripjax search. I need to be more careful.....

    hehe

    By Blogger jjok, at 6/16/2006 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home