Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

June 02, 2006

$5 Rebuy Madness

I was just getting ready to play some poker tonight, when Weak hit me up on the girly chat thing.

"$5 rebuy at 6:30?"

Why, thank you, Weak, don't mind if I do. I started off the game kicking all sorts of ass. I had a top 50 stack at the first break with an initial field of 1454 people. Awesome. Weak, unfortunately, couldn't get things going, and bowed out shortly after the first break. However, he's currently kicking butt in the $3 rebuy which started about two hours later. Maybe he'll actually write about it in his effort to post more than twice in one month!

I played another excellent mid-game tonight, taking the cue from my performance in the Mookie on Wednesday. I let myself be a lot more aggressive, while also managing to keep it under control. I was able to let hands go when I thought I was beat, and I made myself push with marginal hands when I thought I was ahead. I had a few suckouts, but you have to suckout a few times if you're going to get anywhere in a rebuy tournament.

I made it to the money easily, and I believe I was a top 20 stack when this happened. However, that was not to last, as I ran AK into KK. I didn't catch an A or a deuce for my straight, and I was severely crippled. However, I had a great group of people railing me, including Weak, Surflexus, Jules, and Kat. Jordan, Veneno, and Dave showed up toward the end, and I appreciate their support as well. Their advice to me in the end game was definitely valuable. (As it happens, the end game is the one section of Harrington I haven't read yet; I should probably do that soon.) I may have busted out several spots earlier than I did if I hadn't had them to bounce my play off of. Thanks for listening guys!

I managed to double up once, buy some blinds for a while, and I made it up to the top 40. I was still really short stacked, though, and I ended up busting out in 36th when I pushed with K3 and an M of less than 3. QQ called me, and he hit a boat on the turn. That was that. I'm very happy with my play, though, and this definitely boosts my confidence for any further MTTs that I decide to play. If I can dodge over 1400 donkeys, I must be close to invincible! Not quite as invincible as Hoy, yet, though. :-)

I ended up taking home $112 for my $15 investment, although I ended up playing for over five hours so the $/hour isn't that great. I always learn when I play a big game, though, so that plus the $100 made it more than worth my time. Plus it was great to have a bunch of my blogger friends railing me. Hopefully I can take this momentum into the weekend and money in some other MTTs. Good luck to the rest of you, and maybe I will see you on the felt!

3 Comments:

  • Keep up the good work at the virtual tables man, wtg.
    Hey, if you're around and are interested, tonight (Monday) I am hosting my weekly online homegame and would love to have you play. All the details are on my blog, but maybe we see you tonight. And I'll be in the ATM that is the full tilt 17k as well, which runs at the same time as my game (yay for multitabling!)

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 6/05/2006 1:14 PM  

  • Nice job Matt. You are going to hook a big one soon, I can feel it.

    By Blogger drewspop, at 6/05/2006 3:19 PM  

  • Helluva job on Friday!! Hopefully I'll see you at WWDN tonight.

    By Blogger presidentdavelee, at 6/06/2006 7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home