Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

May 18, 2006

Winning Is +EV

I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. Apparently the more hands you win, the more money you can expect to make. Genius!

Last night was a very good night for me. I got home and cleaned up the house for the wife (she's had a pretty tiring week thus far), and then I logged on to Party for some $100 NL action. I had just sat down at a juicy looking table when Chris messages me and asks if I'd like to join a 18-player SNG with some bloggers on Stars. Never one to turn down poker blogger action if I can help it, I jumped right in. Also present were Kat, GCox, and Surf.

As luck would have it, when the tourney started, there were no bloggers at my table. Boo to that. I wonder what the odds of that are? Anyway, I continued to multi-table the cash game and the SNG, mostly paying more attention to the SNG. I wasn't getting any cards in the cash game, so it didn't matter too much. I managed to stay alive to the final table with about 1k in chips, but by the time I got there, Kat was the only other blogger remaining. She was forced to push fairly soon with a medium ace and got knocked out by a higher ace.

I stayed alive by stealing, stealing, stealing. I pushed all in at least six times, as the blinds were getting crazy high. Other people started going out, and we were soon on the bubble. More stealing commenced, and I ended up knocking out some guy with KK when he called with a medium ace, probably thinking I was stealing again. That put me in the chip lead, but a series of beats (not all bad) whittled me down to a slightly below average stack. I then found QQ. It was raised and called, and I pushed. I get called by medium ace yet again, but this time an ace flops and I go home. Three outers suck. I still made $3.50, though. I'm going to Disney World!

After the SNG finished, I turned my attention back to the cash game. I had been fluctuating around my starting buy-in of $100 the entire time I was in the SNG, and I was currently up about $15 or so. I found 44 in early position, and I limped in. I love playing pocket pairs for set value in a cash game. There were a couple of other limpers, and the BB checked it.

The flop came 432 rainbow. Nice! Top set with fours. The big blind bets out, and I raise him about 3x his bet. I put him on one, maybe two pair at this point. Everyone else folded, and the BB called. The turn was a J, and he checks to me. I bet out hard, about pot sized again. He then pushes all in. Part of me feared the straight here, but I just couldn't place him on that hand. I was sure he had two pair, and I called. He flipped over 32o, and I collected a huge pot, as he had me covered.

A few hands later I get 78s in late position. A bunch of people limp, and I decide to limp as well. The flop was 56Q rainbow. It checks around, so I decide to look at a free card. The turn comes a 4. I overbet the pot in the hopes that someone will put me on a steal. I get one call, and the river comes a K. I overbet again, and the guy flat calls. I take it down with the nut straight.

In all, I ended up about $200 last night in the cash game, putting my bankroll back over $700 and well on my way back toward my year end goal. As long as I can keep the downswings like I had last week to a minimum, I should be able to make my $1k easily. I hope the tables are treating you all well this week. See you on the felt.

3 Comments:

  • Nice job Matt. I had problems with my fold/call button apparently when I called GCox all in by mistake. No, really. Ah, who is gonna believe it, but anyway, good job in this one.

    By Blogger drewspop, at 5/18/2006 1:30 PM  

  • Yes Matt, great job with the cash games last night. And as well with you final tabling the WWdN this week too. One of these days I'm gonna log in to stars and rail you on your way to a $200 cash victory. Now if I could only learn from you how not to donk out in the first 15 minutes of the WWdN, I'd be in business.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 5/18/2006 4:58 PM  

  • Nice job. I think you all were already going when I jumped onto Stars. Mebbe next time I'll be around in time to hook up. I just spent a couple of weeks, an hour at a time playing micro limit LHE to clear a bonus at Party. This last session had me double my buyin at .25/.50 in less than 20 minutes. I am definitely going to start playing some cash games. SNGs haven't been very good to me lately, so maybe I can stop the bleeding that way. GL out there.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 5/19/2006 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home