Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

May 06, 2006

OK, For Reals: How To Be A Good (Poker) Blogger

There's been a lot of bad vibes floating around the poker blogger corner of the blogosphere (I hate that word; someone please come up with something better), mostly centered around people throwing jabs at each other for no other reason than their own amusement. I don't get it.

Now I can see how all of the conflicting "how to be a good blogger" lists out there can be confusing, so I have compiled and condensed everything you will ever need to know about how to be a good (poker) blogger into two easy steps:

1. Write what you want, when you want, as long as you're happy with it.

It's your blog. Do whatever you feel like. Put flashing hearts and dancing unicorns on there if you feel like it. It's your creative outlet. Use it.

2. Don't give a damn what other people think.

This step is somewhat optional, depending on what your goals are. If you want to be the super-ultra-mega-popular-awesome-poker-blogger with the most traffic and linkbacks, then, yeah, you're going to want to find out what people like and cater to their interests so that they will keep coming back and you'll get your traffic. (Of course, how this matters in any way whatsoever is beyond me.)

As for me, I do this 90% for myself. If I happen to make a few friends along the way that want to keep coming back, so be it. But I don't change for anyone. If you don't like it here, well, I'm sorry.*

*I'm not really sorry

6 Comments:

  • Good post Matt. This whole thing has reminded me of something an old pal used to say... joke 'em if they can't take a fuck.

    By Blogger katitude, at 5/06/2006 11:59 PM  

  • What if I use dancing hearts and flashing unicorns? I just want to make sure that we've got flexibility. That way I can be the best super ultra mega popular hawesome poker blogger!

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 5/08/2006 4:12 AM  

  • Good post, btw. It may be common sense, but there seems to be far too little common sense floating around out there these days.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 5/08/2006 4:13 AM  

  • Well said, Matt. You've summed up everything I have to say on the subject. A lot of garbage going around about 'how to post', yet I couldn't care less. Have a great week.

    By Blogger presidentdavelee, at 5/08/2006 8:07 AM  

  • Dammit! "Hawesome!" I knew I was missing a word in there.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 5/08/2006 8:37 AM  

  • I agree, great post. Please send me the code to put up the dancing hearts and unicorns. I am a webtard and don't know how to do that neat shit.

    By Blogger BrainMc, at 5/08/2006 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home