Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

May 10, 2006

A Little Downswing

Well, I knew I'd be cockpunched back into reality at some point. I really had been running too hot for my own good. My bankroll isn't really hurting, but I've taken a few losses. There are a couple of places where I should have been stacked, but I made good reads and have thus kept the losses to a minimum. I think I'm down about $100 over the past few days, which isn't too terrible. That's easy enough to make up once I find a donator on Party.

I've still been playing mostly cash games, but I've been getting cold decked more often than usual. It's not fun. I played in the WWdN last night and got dropped to 40 chips in my second hand. QQ vs AA on a J high flop. Ouch. I hope Jaxia put my chips to good use. I actually doubled up twice from there, but then I busted in a hand with four other players when my straight didn't hit. Not that I was expecting much, but I think I disappointed CJ when I didn't make "the biggest comeback in history."

I'm probably going to give the cards a rest tonight and watch some real players play in the WPT. Maybe continue reading some Harrington Volume 2. This book is definitely giving me a lot of useful information. I'm definitely being way too tight when I hit the Orange and Yellow zones in tournaments, and I think that's what ends up killing me. Hmm, the Mookie is tonight, and I missed last week, so I should probably make a showing tonight. If I do play any tonight, that's going to be the only game, but I can't promise anything. Hopefully the cards are treating the rest of you well!

4 Comments:

  • Hope you can make it out to play tonight.

    Harrington's books are great. I am going to re-read vol. 2 before I head out to Vegas next month.

    By Anonymous mookie99, at 5/10/2006 10:45 AM  

  • See you in tonight's Mookie.

    By Blogger drewspop, at 5/10/2006 1:10 PM  

  • HoH II is the most useful poker book I have ever read. Bar none.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 5/10/2006 1:19 PM  

  • Yeah Matt you should definitely make the Mookie if you can. It's a good time every week. And I play like complete and utter donque, so that's always a nice fun fringe benefit to get to watch by just showing up for this thing.

    And I will definitely second (or third, or fourth) the comments about Harrington's books. Both of them. Anyone who considers themselves a serious nlh player (cash or tournaments) yet who hasn't read Harrington...I don't even know what to say about those people. But they're losers, all of them.

    See you tonight big guy.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 5/10/2006 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home