Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

May 16, 2006

Back In Action!

Blogger Bounty Tournament

Well, today turned out to be a really nice day for me. It started with the $11+$1 blogger bounty tournament at 7PM with me, Wil, Surflexus, and DNasty. As luck would have it, my first match end up being against Wil.

The first words out of each of our mouths: "We meet again for the first time for the last time." We're kindred spirits. How gay. But, as Wil was quick to point out, "Gay kindred spirits are the new heterosexual kindred spirits."

Our match started out with me taking a decent lead, building up to 1700 and dropping Wil down to 1300. There was a lot of back and forth, but I managed to get him down to 1000 when I did some "serious level 3 thinking." Wil raised, and I called on the button with the Doyle Brunson, T2o. The flop came KQ6. He bet out, and I called. The turn was another 6. He bet again, and I called. The river was a blank. He bet, and I raised him about 4x. He thought for a good bit, placed me on the six I wanted him to place me on, and folded. I showed him my bluff, and he complimented me on my "serious Jedi poker skills." Of course, it was his own fault. Ever since he posted that article about convincing yourself you have a hand when you're bluffing, it's made it easier for me to make moves. You should have kept your secret Wil!

I thought for sure that I was going to finish him off pretty soon after this, but he battled back in true Former Star Trek Actor fashion, and we were dead even with the blinds at 25/50. At this point he hit some cards, and I went dead. After a few hands I was the one down to 1000 chips. Of course, I had the Easy Button from Staples to counteract the Big Red Button he had Otis pushing, I was able to fight my way back, and we were once again dead even with blinds at 75/150. From here I was able to chip up slowly but surely. Wil's push hand came when he was dealt 66, but unfortunately for him I was dealt 99. No improvement for him, and I win the first round. Well played, Wil!

My second match was against, Surflexus, who had defeated DNasty relatively quickly in comparison to the give and take that Wil and I experienced in our game. He took a big lead early on when I folded middle pair to his all in, and it turns out he had middle pair as well with a worse kicker. I was able to fight my way back, though, when I hit my straight on the river of one hand; I'm pretty sure I was channeling Veneno or CJ at this point. I don't remember the hand I eventually won on, but it wasn't too much longer after my suckout. I don't really play a lot of heads up matches, so it was a nice confidence booster to take down these two games this evening.



WWdN: Ingoal Invitational

The last game of the evening for me was the weekly WWdN game. I was off to a great start right from the get go when I knocked out another player with the nut flush over a smaller flush. From that point, I stayed in the top ten until about the final 20 players. I didn't suck out at all in the first hour, but I had a few in the second and third hours to get to the final table. However, I also suffered some pretty horrific beats.

The worst was from DNasty himself, who was upset that he had lost in the heads up match this evening. To retaliate, he runner runnered queens to make a higher full house on me when I had flopped Tripjax[1]. That one was on the final table, and it hurt. However, I was still alive, and a couple of people went out pretty fast at that point. I was able to double up a couple of times, and eventually made it to the final five.

My final hand came when I had QJs in the SB. It folded to me, and I raised. BB called. Flop was AQx, and i bet out hard. He pushed all in. I felt I was pot committed (I would have been left with an M of 4), and I wasn't positive he had an A, so I called. He had A3, and I finished up in 5th place.



In addition to the 5th place finish, I also won the last longer bet between myself and several other bloggers to the tune of about $35. Sweet! Overall, I was very happy with my play this evening, and I'm also happy with the results. It's definitely good to be coming out of the slump I've been in the past week or so. Hopefully I can ride these finishes to more wins.


[1] Man, was that a smooth pimp for a fellow blogger or what? Yes, I really am that awesome.

6 Comments:

  • Nice run tonight...

    By Anonymous mookie99, at 5/17/2006 12:38 AM  

  • congrats on the nice run.

    I am still shocked at the runner-runner queens...that was gross.

    By Blogger jjok, at 5/17/2006 10:41 AM  

  • nice win. I havent played on riverstars... sorry POKERSTARS in a long while.

    I'll probably start playing again soon enough though, easy money!

    gl

    By Blogger Rory Cartwright, at 5/17/2006 11:53 AM  

  • Nice run. So that's what it looks like to play well on Stars. And there is nothing geigh about Spaceballs, even if you're sharing the moment with a Famous Former Star Trek Actor.

    I know it's late for you, but if you're going to be at the Mookie I'll see ya there.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 5/17/2006 12:39 PM  

  • Nice job Matt. I hope you learned a thing or two from your friendly final table mate too ;)

    By Blogger drewspop, at 5/17/2006 2:40 PM  

  • Seriously, that guy was the most brilliant player I'd ever met. He taught me so much about poker and life in general. Someday, I hope I can be just like him.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 5/18/2006 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home