Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

April 04, 2006

So Close, Yet So Far Away

So, yeah. Last night I decided to play in the WPBT qualifier for a $1500 WSOP event. I figured that since the WSOP is the whole reason I got into poker in the first place, I might as well give it a shot. I played extremely well, I think, but I don't think I should have played in this tournament. First, the starting stacks were 5000. If I had known they would be that large, I wouldn't have played. I ended up staying up until two in the morning. I'm definitely feeling that today. Second, I thought that more than two places would be paying out if there was only enough money for one seat. I got Iggy's tourney mixed up with the DADI tourney, and I thought that any left over money would be doled out in $100 increments instead of one big chunk to second place. Oops. I ended up going out in 11th when I pushed with AQo... right into Heather's AA. She was on a rampage.

EDIT:
Apparently Iggy kicked in some extra dough to send the second place finisher to a WSOP event as well. That's just plain awesome. Bonus code Iggy for the win!


EDIT 2:
My 11th place finish in my one WPBT event was enough to get me in 40th place on the leaderboard. Neat.


EDIT 3:
Now I have more edits than TripJax.


Oh well, so one third of my bankroll is gone. Whatever. I think I can earn that back easily enough. I have enough right now for 11 buy-ins to $5 SNGs, and I'm sure that I can slowly build this back up.

Aside from the financial aspect of the game, I had a great time playing last night. I drew a seat to start the game two spots to the left of DoubleAs. I was pretty nervous about that at first, as he is a player that I admire and respect greatly. After a few orbits, though, I managed to get comfortable. In fact, I was able to bluff DoubleAs out of a pot when I check raised on a QTT board. That alone was worth the price of admission.

I was dubbed the "set master" by Joe Speaker, as I first hit a set of 8s to double up through pocket Ks, and later I hit a two outer suckout with TT on a nine high board to beat pocket Qs. I believe that was my only suckout of the entire night. I suppose the 8s are technically a suckout, but the money went all in after I had flopped my set, so that doesn't really count. My best hand of the night was when I flopped quad 7s. I about peed myself. It's a good thing no one at my table was able to see me throw my arms up in the air in victory on that flop; I'll have to remember not to do that in live games.

Before all was said and done, I had played at the same table with DoubleAs, JoeSpeaker (they both started at the same table as me), Heather, April, Mourn, Poker Champ, Wonka, CJ, Poker Nerd, and tons more. I'd link all these people, but I'm very lazy. If you read my blog and you care, you more than likely know where to find all of them anyway.

I'm going to play in the Maryland state's qualifier for the World Cup of Poker tonight. Wish me luck!

6 Comments:

  • Matt,
    Great job last night in the tourney. Better luck in the DADI. I'll see you online tonight playing in the MD qualifier. I placed 15th in the last one after some brutal suckouts from my last opponent. Not sure if you know Wigginx, but he has been at the WWDN tourneys and finished 2nd. Hopefully we'll get to do battle in the final ;)

    By Blogger presidentdavelee, at 4/04/2006 11:42 AM  

  • You played well, and I hope you consider it excellent practice for deep stack tournaments against good players. That's what I took from my experience. I feel good about our showing.

    Might be time for the $55 SNG Challenge with your remaining roll to get back some dough - and to get enough for DADI!

    By Blogger TripJax, at 4/04/2006 12:16 PM  

  • Dave,

    I'll be looking for you tonight in the qualifier. It would be sweet if one of us could take it down!

    Trip,

    The $55 SNG Challenge is definitely what I will be doing. I was actually already doing that and on my way to level two when I decided I would blow my profits so far on the WSOP qualifier. :-) Back to square one. Hopefully I'll at least be at level 2 when the DADI rolls around so it won't be as bad of a hit to my bankroll.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 4/04/2006 1:29 PM  

  • You played well Matt. It was a great show.

    By Blogger Slimeface, at 4/04/2006 3:29 PM  

  • nice one.

    screw the sng's - come play $25 NL with me and klopzi over at Interpoker. Be a wimp like klopzi and nut peddle the full ring games, or be a hero with huge manballs like me and tear up the 6-max!

    (by 'tear up' I mean, clear my bonus with a little profit and then start steadily losing money.)

    By Blogger huma, at 4/05/2006 11:41 AM  

  • I'm a wimp?!

    Ok, yeah, I am...

    By Blogger Klopzi, at 4/12/2006 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home