Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

April 27, 2006

Running Good



I came in third tonight in the Mookie after both a very good and a very lucky game. I sucked out on three separate occasions to stay alive in this thing. The first time was one of my first hands, where I picked up AQo. I raised it up and got some callers. Flop came A54 and I lead out. Dave came back over the top of me for a raise. The way the hand had played thus far, I didn't think that I was beat, so I put him all in. He called with 54. I pulled a Q on the turn. Suckout number one.

Later in the game I was in a hand with Chris. We were at the turn, and I had top pair with an open ended straight draw so I pushed. He called with the made straight. The river brought the same straight to the board, and we split the pot. Suckout number two.

The last one came at the final table. I was in the big blind with 69o, and Rocco completed in the small blind. The flop came 69Q. I lead out, and Rocco called. The turn was a blank, and I bet again. He raised me, and I pushed. He turned over 66. I pulled a 9 on the river. Suckout number three.

In fitting fashion, I ended up going out in third to a three outer suckout. The board read QJT9, and I held Q2. I had been betting since the flop, and I pushed here. I was called by DogLawyer's Q4. A four came on the river. Nice, but I really can't complain after all the suckouts I pulled. PokerStars is temporarily in my good graces again, though I will be keeping a close eye on it.

Also, with this cash and an increase of $30 in my NL game over on Party tonight, my bankroll has exceeded $500 for the first time (just barely)! I think this is a pretty big milestone for me. I'm halfway to my goal of 1k by the end of the year. I've been doing really well in the cash games at Party, so I think that's going to be my main income, along with the occasional cash in the blogger tourneys.

I hope this week finds you all well. Sorry for all the suckouts tonight guys! (I'm not really.) See you on the felt! Now it's bed time.

9 Comments:

  • Nice job tonight...thanks for coming out to play...

    By Anonymous mookie99, at 4/27/2006 1:19 AM  

  • Well done, glad to see those chips came in handy :) Mookie is always good times, even in losing. Take care.
    Dave

    By Blogger presidentdavelee, at 4/27/2006 8:38 AM  

  • Congrats on the place, and the bankroll. Keep it going!

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 4/27/2006 12:05 PM  

  • Congrats on the place. Glad you were able to put my last chips to good use *grin*. See ya out there.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 4/27/2006 3:55 PM  

  • Nice job last night Matt. Good to play to the end with you.

    By Blogger drewspop, at 4/27/2006 4:50 PM  

  • Good game last night Matt. Enjoyed the stress of the final table with you, man I thought that bubble would never end.

    By Blogger Miami Don, at 4/27/2006 8:33 PM  

  • Hey! I was watching from the rail last night. Good game. I'm from Severna Park, MD. I just moved to Vegas recently. Look MiamiDon and I up if you ever come out here.

    By Blogger CarmenSinCity, at 4/27/2006 8:43 PM  

  • Thanks for the props, guys.

    Seriously, Don. That's the second time I've had to suffer through the bubble in the Mookie, and both times it's been hell. I don't know what it is about that tournament, but it has the longest bubble EVER.

    Carmen, I'll definitely look you guys up if I'm ever in Vegas. Hopefully I'll make a WSOP event in the next couple of years. :-)

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 4/27/2006 9:08 PM  

  • Nice work btw, Matt. I was still playing like donkey at the time so sorry I wasn't able to join you in making some noise in this thing. One of these days, I will take the Mookie down. Until then I have to live vicariously through you.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 4/28/2006 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home