Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

April 21, 2006

I Take Myself Literally

When I posted the other day that I was going to give PokerStars a break until the DADI tournament, I meant it. However, while playing around on the computer last night, I felt like playing some poker. I knew that I wasn't going to play at PokerStars, but that doesn't mean I couldn't play at another site, right? So I decided to see what I had at my other site accounts, knowing I probably wasn't going to have anything, but maybe I could use some points to play a freeroll or something. The results were not inspiring:

Titan Poker: $0
The only bankroll I had ever had there was from the instant bankroll promotion they ran. I lost the majority of it playing blackjack, but I didn't care because it wasn't my money anyway.

Absolute Poker: $0
I hate this software so much. It probably would have been more painful to play there than not.

Poker Room: $.70
Seventy cents? How did I manage that? Oh, that's right. Poker Room only lets you withdraw even dollar amounts. I probably could make something happen with that at a $.01/$.02 NL table, but the min buy-in for that is a dollar. Jerks.

Party Poker: $0
Wait, what's this? I have unclaimed bonus money? Apparently Party Poker gave me a free $50 at some point this month and failed to notify me of this. And it expires in four days? Nice. Well, at least I only have to play 500 raked hands. Let's see how I do.

So with that, I claimed $50 in bonus money and sat down at a $1/$2 NL table, fully expecting to get bad beat out of my free money.

Only that didn't happen.

My first hand, I was dealt some crappy cards, and it folded around to the BB who checked, so it was just the two of us in the hand. The flop came with me having top pair, and the BB bet out the minimum amount. I raised him, and he folded. So far so good.

Over the next few hands, I just observed the table. This was made easier by the fact that I only got crap for cards. After a few hands, I was able to spot the fish. He was constantly overbetting the pot on any hand he was in, and no one else at the table would call him on it. This guy was going to be my ATM; I just needed to hit a hand.

The cards came a few hands later: AA UTG. Sweet. I raised it 3x, praying that the LAG had caught something. It folded to him, he called, and the rest of the table folded.

Hook.

The flop came Kxx rainbow, and I checked to him. He overbet the pot as usual.

Line.

I pushed, and he called me with KJ.

And sinker.

Unfortunately that was to be my only double up through him, as he left the table shortly after. It was the easiest $50 I ever made. I wasn't going anywhere, though, because while the rest of the table wasn't throwing away money at the rate he was, the majority of them were fairly loose/passive players. There was really only one player I made a point to avoid, and he did the same to me. Over the course of an hour, I managed to run my stack up to $195, nearly quadrupling my initial buy-in. I wanted to keep playing, but it was late. I could feel my eyes getting heavy, and I didn't want to make a stupid mistake, so I signed off for the night. It was a great feeling to be back on my game, though. I plan on playing more $1/$2 on Party this weekend to see if I can really run up a bankroll over there.

I don't know why I left that site in the first place.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home