Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

April 13, 2006

I Had A Feeling



So I was sitting at work yesterday, perusing various poker blogs during a short break, when I came across Mookie's and noticed that his weekly tourney would be starting at 10PM. Now, I usually don't play this game because it cuts into my sleep time, but as the day wore on yesterday, I began to get the feeling that I should play this game. In the car on the way home, that gut feeling was still there, so I decided that after I got home from choir practice, I would sign up for it.

About half an hour in came my defining hand, the same one I busted out of the Titan freeroll with: the open ended straight draw with a flush draw. I was able to see the flop, and two people pushed in front of me on a ten high board. Three to one pot odds = a call for 15 outs. This time, I hit it! I'm sure this is just PokerStars trying to make up for cracking my kings with crap hands the day before, but I'll still take it.

From this point, it was pretty smooth sailing to the final two tables. There were only 32 entries, so it didn't take too terribly long to get there. From that point, I was pretty card dead. I had to steal just to stay alive. I ended up surviving and making the final table as the short stack. I was able to pick my battles more carefully with eight people at the table (someone busted out while the table was forming), and I was able to win/steal my way into second in chips. Chris already had a substantial chip lead by the time the final table started, so 2nd was the best I could hope for at the time without someone doubling me up, and I wasn't getting hands for that.

The final table got down to six fairly quickly, and this was the most excrutiating bubble I have ever participated in. It should have popped three or four times, but there were several suckouts by various people. None of the suckouts were by me, though. In fact, I don't think I sucked out the entire tournament. (I definitely don't consider a 15 outer a suckout.) Anyway, I was eventually able to burst the bubble when my pocket Ts held up against T Nails T's pocket 8s. He had a horrible habit of flopping straights (once to crack my AA), and he should have been out long before he was. He played a good game, though.

Once the bubble burst, I went on a tear. I stole almost every hand I won to build up to second place in chips. Then two players busted out, and Waffles doubled up through Chris, leaving me the short stack. We went back and forth a little bit between the three of us, and I eventually busted out in 3rd when Waffles' AQo sucked out on my TJh. You're such a Tourist Waffles. :-) Well played, sir.

I didn't stick around to watch the end of the game, as it was way past my bedtime, but Chris went on to win with Waffles finishing in second. Congratulations to both of you guys. You played great games and definitely made it hard on me at that final table.

My $50 win was a nice boost to the bankroll. I should also have another $50 coming at me on Friday too, provided no one passes me in the 45 SNG challenge by then. I'm in pretty good shape so far. We'll see how it ends up.

My Harrington on Hold'em books shipped earlier this week. I hope they get here before the weekend so I can take them down to C's parents' and do some reading. My tournament game is ok, but I know it could be a lot better. I'm very eager to see what these books will do for my game. Good luck to all and see you on the felt.

4 Comments:

  • Congrats on the finish!!

    By Blogger presidentdavelee, at 4/13/2006 2:24 PM  

  • Great job last night. Thanks for coming out to play.

    By Anonymous mookie99, at 4/13/2006 2:27 PM  

  • Very good job Matt. I didn't think we would ever get rid of number 6. Long ass bubble period.

    It was a long tourney for only 32 people but it was fun. Glad it was you, me and waffles at the end.

    Of course, waffles wishes it was Kat, me and you so he could have won a $20 180 SNG but...

    Hopefully we both hold up in the 45 SNG for 2nd and 3rd.

    By Blogger drewspop, at 4/13/2006 2:30 PM  

  • Books came today, dear.

    By Blogger Courtney, at 4/13/2006 5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home