Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

April 18, 2006

100 Things You May Not Know About Me

I normally keep this blog strictly about poker content, but I thought that this would be interesting to put here, as it allows some of my poker acquaintances to get to know me better. I mean, a couple of other bloggers have done it so I figured, why not? So, without further ado...

1) I have another blog. It is here.
2) It's really pretty boring. I don't update it too often since I mostly post here.
3) I have a bachelor's degree in computer science with a minor in mathematics from Virginia Tech, and I graduated in spring of 2003.
4) I love VT football. It's the best thing about the fall season.
5) College football is the only sport I can watch on TV. I find anything else to be incredibly boring, as I would much rather be playing it myself.
6) I have been playing poker for a little over a year now.
7) I am, and have always been, a winning poker player.
8) I was very lucky.
9) It's mostly skill now, though. Really! Stop laughing at me!!
10) Although I am a winning player, my bankroll has never broken $500. I usually end up pulling money out to spend on other things.
11) I started this blog because I posted about it so much on my own webpage that I figured a lot of people didn't care and were sick of it. Also, I wanted to play in the Inaugural Pokerstars Blogger Invitational.
12) I came in 31st and won an iPod.
13) Scott is the one who knocked me out of the blogger tournament.
14) I have a wonderful wife, Courtney. She is the greatest thing to ever happen to me.
15) We also have two cats, Max and Roxie.
16) I think cats are great, but I am preferential to dogs.
17) Over the course of growing up, we had three cats, two dogs, two rabbits, and fish as pets in my family.
18) At some point, all of them except the rabbits were in the house at the same time.
19) Our house was often referred to as "the zoo."
20) One of the cats, Max, is the inspiration for my current cat's name, as they looked very similar.
21) I accidentally shut Max's (the first one) tail in my bedroom door when I was little because I wanted him to stay and play with me.
22) I went downstairs crying and asked my dad, "Can a cat live without its tail?"
23) He had to have half of it amputated.
24) He never held it against me.
25) I try to be that forgiving to people who hurt me.
26) I am a devout Christian, and have been all my life.
27) I sing tenor in my church choir.
28) I never really thought about singing in a group until a girl I had a crush on in college suggested I join her group.
29) I never had a girlfriend until I was in college.
30) I was always the "nice guy" in high school that girls thought of "like a brother."
31) It pissed me off.
32) I only had one girlfriend before I met Courtney.
33) I can't imagine ever being with anyone else.
34) We're going to Foxwoods for our anniversary this year.
35) I will be playing in my first ever live tournaments there.
36) I have two sisters, Mandy (23) and Julie (16).
37) They were in a horrible car accident last year in May, and Julie is still in the process of recovering. She can not walk or talk yet, but she laughs all the time and is constantly making progress.
38) She inspires me.
39) I was hired out of college to develop web sites for a government contractor.
40) I had no experience with HTML, ASP, CSS, or .NET, and I learned everything on the job.
41) I'm probably better at what I do than a lot of the people who have been working at my company for many years.
42) I feel I am underpaid for what I do.
43) I love to write, both fiction and nonfiction.
44) When my wife graduates from Johns Hopkins with her PhD in pharmacology, I would like to quit my job and either work for a friend's company or try writing a novel.
45) I have started several novels over the course of my life, but I never have the time to finish them.
46) I love video games.
47) I have owned or currently own an 8 bit Nintendo, a super Nintendo, a Sega Genesis, a Playstation 2, a GameBoy, and a Nintendo DS.
48) The time spent on these consoles pales in comparison to the amount of times I've spent playing games on the computer.
49) I have built my own computer personally, solely for the purpose of playing games.
50) The first game that I ever bought with my own money was X-Wing.
51) My dad probably played that game more than I did.
52) My first car was a black 1986 Pontiac Trans-am.
53) I never got to drive it because my dad thought it was too fast for me.
54) My first car that I got to drive was a 1994 Chevy Lumina. It was fast enough.
55) I was born in Atlanta, Georgia, but I moved to Rock Hill, South Carolina when I was three. I lived there until I went to college, graduated, and moved to Maryland.
56) Maryland has some of the worst drivers I have ever seen.
57) It is easier to get a driver's license in Maryland if you are homeless than if you have an actual address.
58) I went to the MVA (read: DMV) four times before I was finally able to get my driver's license.
59) When I was first getting my license in South Carolina, I failed my first driver's test because I nudged one of the stands while parallel parking.
60) It was the only error I made in the whole test.
61) The stands had actually been placed too close together accidentally, yet I still managed to parallel park the car between them. I was automatically failed, however, since I barely nudged one.
62) I played basketball, baseball, and soccer at some point in high school.
63) I only played soccer my senior year, but I made all conference in defense. I wish I had played more.
64) I have never had a broken bone, but I have had stitches.
65) When I was in the fourth grade, we grew crystals in an aquarium as a science experiment. The teacher asked me and a friend to clean out the aquarium when the experiment was over. I took it outside, but I couldn't get the crystals off the bottom, so I turned it over and started banging on it. My arms went right through. Twenty-one stitches.
66) I feel no pain in the area of one of the scars.
67) I have never smoked or done drugs, nor do I plan to do either.
68) I will have a drink occasionally, but I do not drink often.
69) I have RLS, and both alcohol and caffeine aggravate this condition. Since I have pretty much eliminated them from my diet, I have not had many problems.
70) I first experienced symptoms of RLS when I was a teenager, and my mother gave me Tylenol PM for pain relief and Benadryl for my allergies. Anti-histamines aggravate RLS.
71) Sometimes I have to make a choice about whether I will not get a good night's sleep because of allergies or whether I will not get a good night's sleep because of RLS. Catch 22.
72) I love to read, especially modern day thrillers and science fiction. My favorite authors are Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton, and Dan Brown.
73) I love games of almost any kind, and I am very competitive.
74) I am not a member of MENSA, but I probably could be if I ever got around to taking an official IQ test.
75) I was offered membership into all kinds of intellectual societies/clubs in high school and college, but I never joined any of them (except the National Honors Society) because I never believed in paying money to be recognized for my achievements. I don't need your piece of paper to tell me I'm smart.
76) My mom signed me up for one behind my back while I was in college (NSCS), and it made me mad. I thought it was a waste of money.
77) I purposefully graduated third in my high school class so that I would not have to give a speech at graduation.
78) I used to be terrified of public speaking, but after a public speaking class in college, I am now only slightly uncomfortable with it.
79) I graduated high school with over a 4.0 GPA, and I probably could have had a 4.0 GPA in college, but life is too short to spend all of your time studying.
80) Life is also too short to take your family for granted. I almost lost two of my sisters in a car accident and almost lost my grandma to breast cancer. Don't hold grudges. Treasure your family.
81) I'm running out of things to say...
82) Give me a second...
83) I bowled in a league for many years when I was a kid with a friend of mine from church.
84) Our team took 1st place in the South Carolina state tournament for our division one year. It is the trophy I am most proud of.
85) I do not have any of the trophies I won in sports in my house. They are all at my parents'.
86) When I was a kid, one of my favorite heroes was Zorro. I used to watch the TV show all the time.
87) I have always been fascinated by swordplay.
88) I have a MySpace account. I use it to keep track of friends from college that I don't see very often.
89) It strokes my ego when random hot 18-24 year olds send me friend requests.
90) I never add them.
91) I have been told that I look a lot like John Cusack. I have also been told I look like Superman.
92) I'm not nearly that muscular.
93) Superman was still a common nickname for me in high school, though. I think it's the hair and glasses.
94) The most prevalent nickname for me in high school was Hezekiah Silverstein. For some reason, a classmate of mine latched on to the idea that Silverthorn was a Jewish name. I told him it wasn't, but that Silverstein probably was. The name stuck.
95) I still have a shirt with the name "Hezekiah" printed on the back. I will wear it to my high school reunion, if there ever is one.
96) I started to get really interested in poker after I saw Chris Moneymaker win the 2003 WSOP main event.
97) I played poker long before this, mostly seven card stud in college, but never for money.
98) My grandma taught me to play poker when I was eight. We were at the beach, but it was raining. That's when I first learned the game.
99) My mom worries about me playing poker, even though the only money I've ever invested in the game in over a year is $30. I think it's funny.
100) I am glad that I am finally done writing this. This took forever!

6 Comments:

  • You had over a 4.0 GPA in high school and were not valedictorian? Who did the the other two above you sleep with to get the honors?

    By Blogger Wes, at 4/18/2006 6:53 PM  

  • It was an adjusted GPA. There were many of us who took advanced classes (where an A was counted as 4.5 points instead of 4). I think there were seven or so people whose GPAs were over 4.0

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 4/18/2006 7:12 PM  

  • Well done. When are you going to Foxwoods with the wife? I was there once, it is huge, but only stayed for an hour or so because we were with friends. Take care.

    By Blogger presidentdavelee, at 4/19/2006 8:16 AM  

  • We're going to be up there the week of June 22nd, but I'm not sure of the exact days yet.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 4/19/2006 10:13 AM  

  • Yeah gotta love the adjusted GPA. IB and AP classes in our school got a full point bump in GPA. So I had a 4.2 and I'm not sure I was even top 10%. It was kind of stupid though, because to get super high ranking you'd purposely have to *avoid* non-IB/AP classes, like band or other electives, because they would pull your grades down even if you got an A. I think a half point would have been a better idea.

    Anyway, good stuff man... I didn't know some of that and I've known you for what, like 5 years? :P

    By Blogger Jim, at 4/20/2006 6:08 PM  

  • You DO look like John Cusack! I'd never really thought about it until I read this.

    By Blogger goodbye, at 4/22/2006 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home