Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

March 01, 2006

Stupid! Stupid!

I didn't last too terribly long in the WWdN game last night. The death hand came when I was dealt JJ on the button. UTG raised 3x, so I was pretty sure he was on a premium hand. Everyone folded to me, I called, and the blinds got out. The flop came 9TQ. Sweet, an open ender and a scary board for my opponent. UTG has me covered and bets hard into the pot for T650, which was about 1/3 of my stack of T1600. I put the guy on AQ or AA. The board is pretty scary for any one pair hand, so I come over the top all-in. The guy instacalls with KK.

Nice.

I totally didn't place him on that hand (definitely my fault; I'm not sure why it didn't enter my mind), and because of that, 6 of my ten outs went bye-bye. He was holding two Ks, and any J would give him a straight. So I was down to two remaining Ks and four 8s. I didn't improve, and I go out in like sixty-something place. I don't remember exactly.

Anyway, I'm kind of surprised the guy instacalls with KK there. I'd never seen him before, so he might have been relatively new. I know I would definitely go into the tank with that hand if someone came over the top on me. He made the right call, though, so I can't really blame him. Would you have called me in that situation?

The good news is that I won the majority of my buy-in for the WWdN game playing some $.10/$.25 NL cash holdem with Waffles and Garthmeister. Between the three of us, we ran the table pretty good. We forced a couple of people to rebuy, and in the end I think we took the table for over $50*.

It was definitely a fun night, despite the questionable all-in in the WWdN game. Hopefully I will do better next week.

*In the odd case that someone interprets this as collusion, let me assure you it was no such thing. We just kick ass.

2 Comments:

  • Davee was there too.. four Bloggers. The proof it was not collussion is the fact most of my money came from him! gee, Thanks Daveeeee!

    By Blogger SirFWALGMan, at 3/01/2006 4:06 PM  

  • I may call on the KK v JJ hand, but I don't think I could insta-call as you say your opponent did.

    I gotta figure you probably don't have KJ, because A)you would probably slow play that more and B)I'm holding 2 of the Kings. You could have AQ, you could have JJ, and you could've flopped a set with 99 or 10 10. I would assume most people reraise with QQ. Chances are, I have you beat, and I would call, but not before I did all that thinking.

    Live and learn I guess - that's how ya get better.

    By Blogger Joe, at 3/01/2006 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home