Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

March 02, 2006

Sigh

Well, first the good news. I made $150 coming in 6th place in a 1296 player quadruple shootout tournament last night. I made the final table. The bad news: my play at the final table was awful. And short.

First hand, I get J9c in early position. I fold it. I would have flopped middle pair and flush draw and hit the flush on the turn. Wonderful. Not only that, but another played ended up having a lower flush, and I almost surely would have busted him out.

Second hand, I get A6 spades and fold it. I would have flopped I think a pair, but definitely the nut flush draw. I would have hit it on the turn. DAMMIT.

The first hand I played was K9o from the BB with a raise of 3x. The flop comes 9 high and I bet out. The guy smooth calls. The turn is a 3, and I bet out hard. The guy comes over the top of me. I tank for a bit, decide he's on an overpair or set, and fold. I probably should have called and ended it here.

The last hand I played was A8h in late position. UTG raised 3x, I raise him 3x his bet, and BB calls. UTG folds. Flop comes K high with my flush draw. BB checks, and I push. He instacalls with KJ, and the one damn time I need my flush I don't get it. I think PS gave me those first couple of hands to put me on "you should have played those cards" tilt. I should have taken the free card. I am an idiot.

The End.

3 Comments:

  • 6th out of 1296? Flippin' Sweet! You should be proud of that. As to your play...

    We've all got our calling ranges. J9c, was the table still full? Late in a tourney or table, that's one I'll typically call. Early position, tho, I'll cut you some slack. A6s. I always play suited aces, because of what happened in that hand. Unless my stack dictates (big enough or small enough), I won't go all-in, tho. K9o. That's tough, with a 3x raise, but with the BB discount, I might call it, too. Since the board was 9 high, any flush or straight draws out there? I don't see a 3x raise for any pair below an 8, and unless there was an 8 on the board, I would've put him on JJ+ or 99 for the set. I think your fold was good. On the A8h, I would've done the same thing. Maybe not pushing post flop, maybe a pot bet, if the stack can handle it. Still, I think you played them correctly, and you got the $150 to prove it! Nicely done.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 3/02/2006 12:42 AM  

  • The J 9 was probably one I would call there with it being a shorthanded table of 6....but don't beat yourself up, you played great. That's a tough format winning first place at 3 tables just to get there. Great job!!!

    By Blogger surflexus, at 3/02/2006 1:17 AM  

  • I'm a mega tight ass. I might have played J9s at a full table in LP. Otherwise, I would have folded all three hands.

    By Blogger Wes, at 3/02/2006 1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home