Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

March 02, 2006

Quadruple Shootout: The Non-Tilt Post

You'll have to excuse the previous post. It was definitely overly negative. It was written by one Tilty McTilt who, after thorough review of his work, is no longer with our organization. Without further ado, I give you a more complete and upbeat look at the tournament last night.

First off, 6th out of 1296 people?! Holy crap! That number didn't even hit me until this morning. That's definitely my best finish ever in a MTT. My previous best was 5th out of like 300 or 400. That was over a year ago, so I don't really remember. The field was definitely not nearly as large though.

First Table:

I definitely deserved the win on this one. I played solid, aggressive poker here. The format of this tourney is you play a six-handed table until one is left standing, and then you move on to the next one. I had solid reads on ALL of the people at this table, which is very rare for me. There's only one hand of note that I really remember from this table:

I'm dealt 44 in the BB. It folds around to the button who raises 3x. I call. Flop comes Kxx. I check, he checks. For a split second, I thought that was giving me the green light, but I remembered that this guy likes to come over the top. Turn is a blank, and I check again, almost sure that this guy is slow playing a K. He checks again. Now I'm just puzzled. I've given him the green light twice, but still no bet. I think he's trying to lure me in with a monster. River 4. I smile to myself, knowing that I'm going to be getting all of his chips. I make a weak bet of about 1/2 of the pot, and sure enough, he comes over the top of me with a big reraise. I push him all in. He calls with his AK. BUSTED. I clean up the rest of the table not long after. I waited about 25 minutes for the rest of round one to finish.

Second Table:

I'm pretty sure I deserved to win this table too, but I'm not 100%. I think I had one suckout here. Not positive, but I seem to remember it happening. Anyway, this table was not very memorable for me. No really big hands, and no super challenging players. This table did take slightly longer to beat, as I was up against better players than the first table, but in the end I took it down.

Third Table:

I never should have made it to the final table. I really shouldn't have. But I did, so I should be very happy with the $150 that I took down last night instead of the $70 I would have gotten if I'd gone out in this round. There were three hands of note at this table.

First hand:

I'm dealt 78c in BB. UTG raises 3x, and it folds around to me. I decide to call. The flop comes x79. UTG bets out. I think for a little bit. I put him on a fairly premium hand, but not a pocket pair. This guy varied his bets on the strength of his hand, and would have bet more than 3x UTG with a pocket pair. None of the premium drawing hands I put him on have a nine in them. Not from UTG. I figure him for a big ace or a big king. He has me covered, but I decide to come over the top all-in to make him pay to draw out on me. He calls... with 9To. Ouch. Okay, you got me... until I river an 8.

The guy then goes on a rampage, calling me a moron and telling me what a "great play" I made. I told him that I placed him on higher cards, but he would have none of it. I just told him "thank you" for the "great play" compliment and just let it ride. He was still going two hands later when suckout number two occurred.

Second hand:

I get A9d in either SB or BB. I don't remember which. Mr. Angry pushes all in with his relative short stack, and it folds to me. I think that he's playing irrationally because I tilted him, so I call. He flips over AQ. Doh, got me again... until I river a 9, and he goes home. I have to tell you, I did not feel the least bit bad about this suckout. The guy was a total ass.

The rest of the this table was fairly uneventful until it got heads up. I battered the guy down with raises until he was pretty short stacked. Then came the final suckout.

Third hand:

I'm dealt 64c in the big blind. My opponent makes his mistake preflop by either min raising or smooth calling. I can't remember which one it was. Anyway, the flop came 345 rainbow. I pushed him all in, and he calls with JJ. He should have moved all in on me pre-flop. I probably would have folded. Anyway, turn is a blank, but I river my 7 for the straight. I'm final table bound!

You can read about my final table performance below. I'm not particularly happy with it, and I think I would have done two things differently. First, I probably should have folded the K9. I'm not very experienced with 6 handed tourneys, though (this was my first one), so I thought it might be good. Second, I probably should have folded the A8h as well. That hand is too easily dominated, especially with a raise in front of me. At the very worst, I should have smooth called, and I most definitely should NOT have reraised. I'm positive I was tilting from being pushed off the hand before. And for God's sake, Matt, TAKE THE FREE CARD. *SLAP* Ok, I think I've beaten that into my head now. I should be good to go for the next one.

See you on the felt!

3 Comments:

  • Very nice job...I was getting reports on how you were doing last night while chatting. Was excited to hear you were in the money. Awesome.

    By Blogger TripJax, at 3/02/2006 3:23 PM  

  • Glad to see you're back, Matt. Tilty McTilt doesn't do a very good job of keeping my feet warm at night.

    By Blogger Courtney, at 3/02/2006 8:44 PM  

  • Great playing, congrats on the finish! Suckouts are part of the game. You're too good a player to be a donkey, so the suckout hand came from either a bluff attempt (how many times on WSOP have we seen people like Matusow and Hellmuth attempt a bluff with rags?), or it comes from a read, instinct or gut reaction. Yours were this. You had great reads and played them. If Mr. Angry doesn't like it, screw him. You got his chips, he got to sign up for another game. Just remember his name so you can watch for him in the future. You can probably mega-tilt him again!

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 3/03/2006 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home