Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

March 08, 2006

Miscellaneous + 45 Player SNG Challenge

I finished my PSO promotion this past weekend, and my Best Buy gift card is shipping out today. Sweet. Just in time for Elder Scolls: Oblivion's release on the 20th. Poker may have to take a back seat for a while once that game comes out. I've started my next promotion at Poker Room. (Is this where you play, Eric? If so, let me know if you want to play in a play money game.) So far, the only thing I don't like about the site is that when you're two tabling and it's your turn on the other table, it doesn't auto focus to that table. Otherwise, the site seems pretty decent. I'm about 20 points in (didn't play much due to the WWdN game), and once I hit 400, I'll be getting some PSO points, which I will probably combine with the next promotion for a $100 Party Poker gift certificate.

So the WWdN game last night...

I was doing pretty well, and we were about 40 minutes in or so when I found QQ in first position. I raised 3.5x, and TraumaPoker and some other guy called. The flop comes T7x. I forget how exactly it happened, but random person folds. I ended up putting Trauma all-in. And he calls me... with a J8 and a J high gutshot straight draw? I'm not sure why he made this call, but whatever. He, of course, catches a 9 on the river, severely crippling me.

I want to make one thing clear: I don't hold anything against the guy; that's poker. He's a fellow blogger, and I respect him. No hard feelings. I even linked him up over there on the right.

I am, however, incredibly sick of getting bad beat on the river. So I don't really have many chips left at this point, and I get 22 my next hand. I push... into pocket Aces. Needless to say, I go home before the first break. Super fun.

In other news, I will be participating in The 45 Player SNG Challenge. Here's the roster:

1. Jordan
2. TripJax
3. Garthmeister
4. Big Slick Nuts
5. Gracie
6. Poker Champ
7. DrewsPop
8. Kaellinn18
9. President Dave Lee
10. GCox

Looks like a good group. Basically, we will all be playing 15 45-player SNGs over the next month. The person who places the most times and earns the most points will be the winner and collect $25 from all of the other players. This should be a lot of fun and a great time with fellow bloggers. Wish me luck!

9 Comments:

  • I wont attempt to justify my call but I will try to explain what happened since SIRF emailed me this morning giving me shit for calling after he read your post. I don’t have the history in front of me since I am at work but I remember defending the BB with J8o to a raise from you on the button and the original limper folding. The flop came out 710x giving me a gut shot and one over card. At the time I was multi tabling with 6-8 tables up and didn’t realize that do to my stack size I should have never called the pre flop raise. (Not only because of my stack but how about because it was J8o? Christ I am bad) Once I checked and you put me allin I really felt I didn’t have a choice seeing as how I put a good portion of my stack in. Even in our voice chat with Sox, SIRF, and others I mentioned what a donkey I was and that I needed a 9 to save me, then I proceeded to call of my stack and spike the 9. I am a donkey.

    By Blogger TraumaPoker, at 3/08/2006 12:00 PM  

  • It's cool, dude. I figured it was because you felt you were pot committed. I just hope you put my chips to good use once you got them. :-)

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 3/08/2006 12:27 PM  

  • Um, he actually have them to me I believe. Which I put to good use until I gave them to Villainiss... who was kicking ass and taking names, and was chip leader when the final table started at least.

    And don't send your good luck to Matt for the 45 SnG Challenge, send it to me. Thanks.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 3/08/2006 12:48 PM  

  • Whatever. Any luck you send to Garth would be wasted. He'd just blow it on beer and hookers.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 3/08/2006 1:04 PM  

  • I got my chips in dominated once again versus QQ. This time I had AQ SOOOOTED versus Garth and his QQ. I had not suckout poker left in the tank and I was out.

    By Blogger TraumaPoker, at 3/08/2006 2:05 PM  

  • That's a rough beat, Matt. Two beats actually.

    You know what I can't stand? How often it happens that (1) you get severely bad beat, often on the river by some donkeyclown with 1 or 2 outs, and then (2) the Very Next Hand, you get beat again with another favorite when the money goes in, and you're out of the tournament. As often as I get bad beat in general, my odds of being bad beat on hands immediately following another bad beat have to be about 95%.

    Good luck in the 45 sngc man. I know you play these things a lot so hopefully you will have some kind of home field advantage and really be able to do well with the group.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 3/08/2006 3:18 PM  

  • Hoyaza...I agree with you, but in Matt's case, his second hand wasn't a bad beat...22 vs AA...and he had 22.

    It does happen all the time though where you get a beat and then get a good enough hand to push the rest of your chips in.

    People, people, send mojo MY way for the 45p SNG Challenge!!!

    By Blogger TripJax, at 3/08/2006 3:43 PM  

  • NEVER! The mojo is mine! All mine!

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 3/08/2006 3:55 PM  

  • matt - yeah, poker room is where i play. however, i haven't really played in a couple weeks. my job situation and a few other things have been taking up the majority of my time. but i'll definitely drop you a line if i find myself logging on in the near future.

    By Anonymous eric, at 3/09/2006 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home