Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

March 14, 2006

Minor Ups and Downs

First, the good news. I finished the PSO promotion at PokerRoom yesterday. Soon I will have some PSO points sitting in my account. I plan on completing another promotion for more points and then getting a PartyPoker $100 certificate to help expand the bankroll. I played pretty well in the cash game yesterday, but I ended down about $20 because I made a stupid call.

I was in the cutoff with TT and called the BB. The button raised 3x, it folded around to me, and I called. Flop came TJQ rainbow. I check, and the button bets. I come over the top for 3x that bet, and the button pushes me all in. I now know for certain that the button has AK. But do I fold? Of course not; I have a set dammit! I call and get stacked by AK spades when the board doesn't pair. I earned most of that back but not all of it. I'll work on recovering that before the WWdN game tonight.

I also joined in the DADI short handed tournament fun last night, but I didn't last very long. The death hand came when I got KQo in UTG+1. I raised 3x, and I get two callers. The flop came K high, all diamonds. SB immediately pushes all in. I barely have him covered, and something really smelled funny about that play, so I called it. He shows a dominating AK suited. Ouch. I just couldn't place him on that hand. Who doesn't reraise pre-flop with AKs short handed? That just confused me. Anyway, I went out a couple of hands later with a non-exciting hand.

My Best Buy gift card arrived yesterday from PSO. Not bad service at all on their part. They got my card to me less than a week after being approved. Well done! I will definitely continue to use their site as long as I can.

2 Comments:

  • Thanks for the info on Wes, I never did catch who he was. As for the tournament, it's hard to put someone on AKs like that, I wouldn't have either. I would've thought he/she had the A of diamonds.

    Oh well, them's the breaks, more DADIs to come I'm sure.

    Good luck at the tables.

    -checkitdown

    By Blogger Joe, at 3/14/2006 12:59 PM  

  • Yeah Matt that's a rough way to lose, but I try to make a point to never push too hard with KQ, because I end up losing to dominated hands or overpairs way more often than I should when I'm holding that hand and there is a lot of action once the flop is out. If I bet the flop and get called, I try to check it out from there.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 3/15/2006 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home