Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

March 23, 2006

I Bilted Him Good

If you'll pardon the audacity, I'm going to coin a term: bilting. This word is a very loose combination of bluff and tilt. Basically, you bluff someone so bad that they tilt off their entire stack within the next few minutes. Allow me to present an example of how to totally bilt someone.

The Scene: It's late in a 45 player SNG with about eighteen people remaining. Blinds are 200/400, and I'm sitting nicely with a stack of around T6000. The table is actually pretty even, with no huge stacks and no massive short stacks. Stacks range from around T9500 to T4000. Victim has a stack on the upper end of that range.

The First Hand

I'm dealt KQo in middle position. It folds around to me.

Me: Raise 800 to make it 1200 to go. Translation: I like my hand.

It folds around to victim.

Victim: Call. Translation: I like my hand too, but I'm not sure if it's better than yours. Plus, I've got position.

The rest of the table folds. The flop is dealt: Jxx

Me: Check. Translation: That flop sucks.
Victim: Bet 1000. Translation: I have a jack.
Me: Call. Translation: I don't care.

The turn is dealt: Ad

Me: Bet 1200. Translation: I have an ace.
Victim: Call. Translation: I might have one too.

The river is dealt: Blank

Me: Bet 2000. Translation: Can you beat my ace?
Victim: Fold. Translation: No, I can't.
Me: Show ace high. Translation: Hehe, I didn't really have an ace. n00b.

The Second Hand

This occurred two hands later; blinds are still 200/400. I'm dealt KK in the big blind.

Victim: Call 400. Translation: I'm not going to raise. I'm still burning from that bluff.
Button: Call 400. Translation: I'm on the button, so I have to play this hand, even though it's 93o.
SB: Call 200. Translation: What the hell, it's only 200 more.
Me: Raise 1200 to 1600. Translation: I'm not letting you people off that easy.
Victim: Call. Translation: Maybe I can get some of my chips back from this guy.
Button/SB: Fold. Translation: I never should have been in the pot in the first place.

The flop is dealt: JKJ

Me: Pause. Check. Translation: I missed, and I don't really feel comfortable bluffing at this board, especially since I just showed you a bluff.
Victim: Bet 2800. Translation: I think you're weak, and I'm taking this pot.
Me: Pause. Raise 2800 to 5600. Translation: Well, I'm not as weak as you think I am.
Victim: Pause. Pushes all in. Translation: Whatever, you're not bluffing me out of another pot.
Me: Call. Translation: You're right. I'm not.

For the record, the guy pushed with Th8h, with no hearts on the board. BILTED!

7 Comments:

  • Good job last night man. It's gonna be a race to the finish line.

    Good luck.

    By Blogger drewspop, at 3/23/2006 11:47 AM  

  • Ha ha, bilted. I love it!

    By Blogger Wes, at 3/23/2006 1:47 PM  

  • Bilted! I'll be sure to use that one. Nice.

    Looking forward to bilting you sometime soon!

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 3/23/2006 3:26 PM  

  • Man, I may as well throw in the towel is this thing. I can't get in the money on 'em to save my life.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 3/23/2006 5:26 PM  

  • Very nice. Although you don't need to show your cards to get your opponent on bilt - even if you had the nuts, don't show your cards, just type in the chat window:

    'i had nothing lol'.

    By Blogger huma, at 3/23/2006 6:09 PM  

  • I find it to be more effective when I show them the bluff and remain completely silent.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 3/23/2006 8:41 PM  

  • Bilting. Heh. I like it. I won't show my bluffs unless I'm targeting one person in particular for biltage. If I'm just taking down random pots, I'll sometimes show the good hands, but I get enough showdowns that people see my hands. And I hate getting into chat flame wars. Oh well. Nice series at least. Good job Matt.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 3/24/2006 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home