Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

February 08, 2006

Afterthoughts

I'd like to take a little time to post some of my afterthoughts on the game last night, while it's still fresh in my mind. I was actually surprised that I made it as far as I did. Since I was literally down to my last dollar, I fully expected to bust out with such a large, talented, and intimidating field. Had I busted out, I planned on taking a hiatus from poker for a while, since I've been running an incredibly unlucky streak. I'm not the only one either. Pauly, Wil, and Maudie have all been having bad runs of it lately. While I'd never wish the experience on anyone, it's nice to know that I am not alone in my struggles.

The thing is, I've been happy with the decisions I've been making. A lot of people will tell you that's what it all comes down to. Be happy with your decisions. Don't be results-oriented. I can appreciate what they're saying, but it's not easy to take when you've almost/actually gone broke. I've busted out a few times, but, as I've stated before, I've never lost my own money in poker. If I had lost last night, it would have marked the first time I'd lost my money without being able to double up first. I'd still technically be in the green with my iPod win and some money I've withdrawn for other things, but it would mark the first loss of my own cash. Not losing money is one aspect of my game that I am very proud of, and I would have hated to lose that.

Luckily (or skillfully?), I'm not in that situation right now. I went into the game last night with the attitude that I was going to play my A game. I was going to trust my gut and my reads, and I was going to act on them. Screw the donkeys, and screw the cards. As long as I made decisions I was happy with, I would leave the game content, and if I busted out I would take my break. I must say that I think I played great solid/aggressive poker last night. There was not one decision that I was not satisfied with, and my reads were almost always right on.

The only decision I am even curious about was folding my AQ to Waffles' KJc. The board was 9c Jh Ac Td, and Waffles came over the top when I bet out. I had him pinned on two pair, so I let it go. He had outs, but I was ahead. I'm curious as to what that river card would have been. However, I think it was the right move to fold and not risk so many of my chips at that point in the tournament.

I'm ecstatic that I once again have a bankroll to work with and that it's of a size where I can get out of the super fishy games. My luck just hasn't been holding in the games at that level. Hopefully I will be able to build it up to a good size where I can avoid those altogether. (Not to say that there aren't fish at the middle limits, but I'd hope that they aren't as bad.) I'd like to be playing in $10+1 and $20+$2 games exclusively by the middle of the year, so we'll see how that works. Right now, I think I'll stick with the $5+$.50 and maybe a $10+$1 or two. I've proven myself (to myself at least) to be decent at both Stud and Omaha H/L, so I may mix up my games a little more now too.

I have the feeling that my 3rd place finish last night is marking a turning point in my game. Here's hoping that I can keep building on that success and have a nice bankroll built in the next month or two.

5 Comments:

  • Good luck to you. I agree that you made the right laydown, and like I said, if I did not respect you I would not have made the move.

    That board was HELLA scary with 4 straight cards and 2 flush cards. Part of what I was counting on. It's usually not good to go broke on TPTK anyways. Even if I rib you a little, lol.

    I have been playing O8 tourneys and find them to be fun. I usually ITM and have scored decently once. Good luck building your bankroll.

    By Blogger SirFWALGMan, at 2/08/2006 5:46 PM  

  • Yeah, that was definitely a scary board. That was well played on your part. If I catch you online, I'll see if you want to play an SNG or something. At the very least, I'll see you in the next Tuesday night game.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 2/08/2006 9:28 PM  

  • Yeah, Matt, congrats again on your fine showing. I think it's time for the Hammer Player to make an appearance at a WWdn final table as well, don't you think?

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 2/09/2006 9:40 AM  

  • See you there Hoyazo. I'm also planning on making waves at the next WWdn

    By Blogger HighOnPoker, at 2/09/2006 11:46 AM  

  • Congrats on the finish and the replenished bankroll. I like the 10+1 level games. Typically solid action...some donkeys and fish (I mean, hell. I play 'em!), but much better than some of the microlimit stuff. My issue has been closing the deal, so I tried to play a microlimit (3+.50 I believe) 6 handed SnG. Sadly, I think I was the best player there, and I couldn't get any traction with all of these freaks pushing all in on any connectors or suited cards. Definitely stay away from the micro stuff. Good luck & I'll look for ya.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 2/09/2006 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home