Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

January 23, 2006

Super Stud

I decided to mix it up a little bit more last night. Texas Hold'em will always be my staple game, but it's good to change pace every once in a while. There wasn't any Omaha going on, but there was a $1 seven card stud game starting at 9:30, so I figured I would give it a shot. I'd played some stud in college, but never online, let alone in a tournament. A total of 528 people ended up registering for the tournament. I got off to a pretty good start, picking hands where I started with a high pair, or three to a straight/flush. Before I knew it, I was two hours in!

I ended up playing to about 12:30. I should have made a bunch of money on my last hand, but instead I got knocked out. I had one 8 showing and another 8 in the hole, and I came out with a raise. One guy called me. I bet all the way, and he called all the way... WITH NOTHING. He would have been severely crippled, but he hit a Jack on the river to beat my eights. Seriously, what the hell? Would you bet past 5th street with absolutely nothing but a draw when it's going to end up costing you almost all of your chips? Absolutely insane. Anyway, I ended up coming in 42nd, which was in the money, but not nearly enough money to make it worth my while. In essence, I ended up staying up very late for like $.50. Just wonderful.

Oh well, that's typically how I get knocked out of MTTs. As Phil Helmuth said, "I'd win a lot more of these damn things if it wasn't for luck." One of these days I'll get first. Once of these days...

5 Comments:

  • I hear ya, buddy. All it takes is one donkey hand that hits to just nuke you. In a weird way, I guess it's nice to see that the Stud tourneys suffer from the same issues as the Hold 'Em and Omaha ones do!

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 1/24/2006 2:42 PM  

  • Matt, I've played next to you in a couple of the blogger tourneys recently. I'm here to say that I am living proof that if you keep playing your A game, paying attention and getting better at the areas where you need to work on your game, you Will eventually make that final table you speak of. I have played countless MTTs on pokerstars, all the buyins from $1 up to $10, and thus far I have final tabled twice. Once in a $2 tourney and once, most recently, in the $10 tourney. It will happen for you eventually if you keep playing well. It's like you and hoff said, it's just hard with all the fish trying to suck out on you, it only takes 3 fish drawing at 4-flushes on the flop for you to be odds-on to lose at least one of those all-in situations. Best of luck and keep going at it on pokerstars.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 1/25/2006 5:04 PM  

  • Thanks for the support, Hoyazo. I've final tabled once in a WWdN Thursday night game (2nd place), but I haven't final tabled in any of the regular Pokerstars tourneys yet. I've moneyed a bunch of times, but I still haven't managed to final table. It'll happen one day. I just have to be persistent about it.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 1/25/2006 9:55 PM  

  • It's damn tough to build a bankroll playing MTTs. Sounds like you are doing well. My strategy was to build a bankroll playing cash games and take shots at the tourneys. Sitngos can definitely be beaten, and teach good final table ideas. I've heard some say that sitngos are the lowest variance of all the major forms of poker.

    You make a great point about playing your A game all the time.

    Hang in there. -Z

    By Anonymous Zeem, at 1/27/2006 4:17 PM  

  • Oh, I don't play the MTTs to build my bankroll. I just play them every once in a while hoping for the one big score, you know? I probably play one MTT a week, unless you consider the 45 player SNGs to be MTTs. I don't look at those the same since they're usually really soft, and I money in those all the time.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 1/27/2006 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home