Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

January 09, 2006

"Rebuy!"

I don't remember which one it was, but there was an episode of the 2005 World Series of Poker that devoted some time to a rebuy tournament. At one point they did a montage of a bunch of different people yelling out "Rebuy" during the course of the game. Daniel Negreanu had a massive wad of $100s, and they showed him rebuying about six or seven times. I thought it was pretty funny.

Anyway, I lost my last $20 on Friday night to a bunch of people chasing stupid cards and sucking out on the river. (Isn't that always how it happens? It's never my fault.) I rebought Friday night, and I played in a bunch of SNGs this weekend. I'm currently slightly more than 1/3 of the way to doubling up my $75. I would be further than that, but I lost some races and got sucked out on some more. I've decided that I'm going to stick with the SNGs until I build my roll up. I'm tired of bad beats in cash games. At least if I get a bad beat in an SNG, I only lose a fixed amount of money. Plus, I finish in the money more often than not.

I'm not sure if I'll have my bankroll built up enough for the DADI tourney on Wednesday, especially since it's an Omaha H/L game, and I'm not very experience in that version. I played on some of the fake money tables and cleaned up pretty good, but I don't think I know enough to play in a money game against people who know what they're doing. I will probably just sweat the rail and watch everyone else get beat.

I should be able to continue to build my bankroll a little bit during the week now. My wife's new laptop arrived early, which means I get to have the old one. That means that I can play poker while I'm in the living room now, so I may be able to get a game or two in each night in between doing things with the wife. Go wireless!

7 Comments:

  • Matt,

    At least you're making progress on the bankroll. I set mine up and went to a fixed .50/1 table. It was an amazing amount of dead cards, and quite an ugly first hit to the new bankroll. Since then, I've waaay tightened up my game and I'm slowly clawing my way back. I'm looking to play in some of the sng's. That looks like a pretty low cost way to play and maybe score a little cash. What's been your experience with how long those can last? My gf apparently isn't as understanding about poker playing as your wife, so whipping out a few games inbetween activities isn't really an option.

    I haven't completely decided if I'm going to play in the DADI tournament for the same reason as you...I've played straight omaha, but never the H/L version. Either way, see ya on the felt.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 1/09/2006 2:27 PM  

  • In my experience, the length of SNGs (provided you make it to the final two seats) can last anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. It depends mostly on how tight the table is. I played in one game yesterday where we were up to $100/$200 blinds and no one had been knocked out yet. That one ended up lasting about an hour and fifteen minutes.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 1/09/2006 4:04 PM  

  • I had a 6 person SnG that had an 5 minute intermission this weekend. I was like this is a first for me. Very next hand after break I was dealt QQ...I went all-in and was called by JJ. He caught a J on the flop.

    Was an awesome SnG though everyone played well and there was not one maniac. except me on my last hand.

    By Blogger Kipper, at 1/09/2006 4:20 PM  

  • Hey Matt,
    Thought I would send you a link regarding Omaha from "No Limp Poker" that looks pretty good. http://www.o8poker.com/

    By Blogger Slimeface, at 1/09/2006 10:54 PM  

  • I prefer the cheap SNGs on Stars to Party - bigger starting stacks and I think the blinds go up slower. Allows me to play a good tight early game anyway. OTOH, I usually see a maniac or two knocked out in the first few hands on a Party SNG.

    I'm looking at a rebuy or whatever soon - my roll at Stars is down to like $18, and at Party I think it's around $50. Spending too much time with my friends and partner (curse them!) and haven't had time to sit down for 1-2 hour sessions. Hopefully I'll get to play a couple of $5 or $10 sng's tonight at Party.

    By Blogger huma, at 1/09/2006 11:08 PM  

  • Hey Matt, Nice blog. I came across it tonight while playing. I hope you get to join us Wednesday night in the DADI. I used the SnG's to build my bankroll any time it was as low as you are talking about and it seems to be the best way to build it at that point. Good luck and nice blog......surf

    By Blogger surflexus, at 1/10/2006 1:35 AM  

  • Kipper: That is insane that you even made it to a break, let alone that the whole table made it. Crazy. I bet that was a tough game.

    Slimeface: Thanks for the link! I'll be sure to check it out.

    Huma: Get your friends (and partner) hooked on poker. Then you can have all the 1-2 hour sessions you want!

    Surf: Thanks for stopping by! I've linked up your blog so everyone else can check it out. I'm hoping to make the DADI on Wed. I'll have a post about that shortly.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 1/10/2006 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home