Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

January 03, 2006

Knowing Your Roll

I made a mistake on Monday.

I decided to play in a MTT that was out of the range of my bankroll. I played in one of the 180 player $20+$2 SNGs, thinking that I was good enough to play at that level. Well, I discovered something. First, I am good enough to play at that level. Second, my bankroll can't handle it. I did well in the tournament, but I did not finish in the money.

That one loss in and of itself was not hugely detrimental to my bankroll, but couple that with some other losses due to bad beats and cold cards at my normal levels, and it really hurt. I could definitely use the extra $22 that I lost in that one game now. So now it will be down to grinding it out on the micro limits for a little while. I refuse to buy back in until I bust out completely; it's just one of my things. I don't know why I do it. I've come back from $10 to over $400 before, so I guess I figure why invest more if I don't have to. I've already doubled up my initial buy in and withdrawn my initial investment, so I have yet to lose my own money at poker, but this was definitely a hit and a lesson learned. Know your roll and play within the limits it allows.

9 Comments:

  • Good advice. I figure that tourney play will keep me from busting my entire roll on one hand, but you make a very good point: it's still a loss of $22.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 1/03/2006 7:36 PM  

  • Is it just a coincidence that you go into the (relatively) "big money" tournament right after we watched Rounders?

    By Blogger Courtney, at 1/03/2006 10:30 PM  

  • I see that in November your bankroll was under $30 - what's it at now?

    At Stars mine is about the same - only been playing for a few months. I just use it for cheap sng's and mtt's now. Can't bring myself to rebuy :)

    By Blogger huma, at 1/03/2006 11:48 PM  

  • Hah, no I had been planning to play the game for a while, I just didn't think it all the way through.

    Currently my bankroll is $26. That's after tripling it tonight. I'm not dead yet!

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 1/04/2006 1:02 AM  

  • Very true about the BR. I was doing the same thing this last week with a few MTT's that were more than I should've played.

    But, how'd you like the 180 man sng? I love those things. That's one of my favorites on 'Stars.

    By Blogger Chris, at 1/04/2006 1:52 AM  

  • The 180 man games look promising. There are just as many bad players at that level as there are at the $5/$10 levels. I just need to grind for a while to get my bankroll at the point where it can sustain playing at that level.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 1/04/2006 10:04 AM  

  • Hey Matt. I feel your pain. If you are online and use Yahoo IM, look for me, HighOnPokr, and maybe we can enter one of those too-high SNGs together. It makes the games a lot more interesting.

    By Blogger HighOnPoker, at 1/04/2006 11:18 AM  

  • I'd love to do that, Jordan, but at the moment it would cost me almost my whole bankroll! I still have some grinding to do.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 1/04/2006 11:40 AM  

  • Protect your bankroll !!!!!

    Manage....Manage!!!

    By Anonymous kipper, at 1/04/2006 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home