Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

January 14, 2006

A Damn Good Read #2

I was playing a multi-table SNG today, when I got moved to a table to the left of a guy named Durti. Now, this guy was a pretty decent player, but I could tell that he was overly aggressive. I watched as he pushed people out of hands that he read as weak. When he actually had a semi-decent hand, he would be a little more cautious, which I found odd. So I decided to play the player. I limped in to a couple of hands when he was in the big blind and I was in first position. He would inevitably raise if it folded around to him, and I would let him push me off the hand. Just so I could pull this off when I got the cards:

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to kaellinn18 [Ac Ts]
kaellinn18: calls 150
Rufus McLean: folds
Ms_PK: folds
RAH2: folds
SWEETY16: folds
fireranger7: folds
HardToLove: folds
durti: raises 750 to 900
kaellinn18: raises 750 to 1650
durti: raises 1202 to 2852 and is all-in
kaellinn18: calls 470 and is all-in
*** FLOP *** [3h Jc 7h]
*** TURN *** [3h Jc 7h] [2d]
*** RIVER *** [3h Jc 7h 2d] [Kd]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
durti: shows [8c 9c] (high card King)
kaellinn18: shows [Ac Ts] (high card Ace)
kaellinn18 collected 4315 from pot

4 Comments:

  • well that was brave of you - ATo isn't really having 'the cards' is it? Maybe I'm just too conservative.

    You didn't mention if this was short handed or not though. 6-handed or less I would have done the same thing. Good read, anyway :)

    By Blogger huma, at 1/15/2006 7:57 PM  

  • I realize I didn't have the greatest hand to go over the top here, but I knew that my read on him was solid, so I had to take it.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 1/15/2006 10:18 PM  

  • Beautiful play. Sometimes you have to take a chance and follow your gut. Slowly but surely I'm learning to read the players...the SNG's are the way to go, locking up a table for an hour or so. I'm going to make a note of that guy's name so I can watch for him.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 1/16/2006 12:26 PM  

  • Aren't you glad he didn't catch his gutshot draw? :-) But seriously, well played, Matt. That is just the right way to play this game.

    By Blogger yestbay, at 1/19/2006 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home