Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

January 18, 2006

Attention Omatards!

Ok, I'm definitely no expert at Omaha H/L. In fact, I've only played in two tournaments. I've played in some cash games, but not nearly enough to give me any sort of credibility. However, I am still going to offer some advice to Omaha H/L newbies. I have seen a disturbing trend as of late online. Given the limits that I play at, this is probably just a mistake made by new players, but since I don't think the majority of the people who visit this page are H/L experts, I thought I'd throw it out there. I've seen it happen in cash games as well as at all levels of the tournament I placed in. It's blatantly obvious, and you'll probably think it's pointless, but it needs to be said:

Don't underbet the nut low hand.

"Well, duh," you're probably thinking to yourself. I know, I know. It's obvious. Yet you would be dumbfounded at the number of people I saw who were content to simply call with the nut low hand. This is "very bad." If there are multiple people in the hand, and you have the nut low, you should be raising like mad. 1) You can force out people who have a chance to possibly outdraw you. 2) Many people will call without the nuts, and you will take their money. 3) This is the best case. The nut high hand will raise you back. The ideal situation is to get into a raise war with the person with the nut high while you're holding the nut low and hopefully drag one or two others into the pot with you. The end result is that you usually end up splitting those other players' chips with the nut high hand.

So don't be timid with your nut low hand. Raise it up! You may not get all of the money. You may just end up chopping and getting your money back. But if you hit one of those situations where you can drag other people along for the ride, the payoff is great!

2 Comments:

  • That's also a nice way to get quartered. I suppose this is OK advise for limit, but for pot limit, please don't do this.

    By Blogger Wes, at 1/20/2006 9:24 PM  

  • Sorry, I guess I should have specified. I meant this for limit games. That's pretty much the only type of Omaha H/L I've been playing.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 1/20/2006 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home