Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

January 16, 2006

Adventures With Omaha

I would like to thank Jordan and TripJax for introducing me to Omaha H/L and getting me hooked. I'd never played before the DADI tournament, and since then I have been playing quite a bit. Here is one result:

PokerStars Tournament #18043544, Limit Omaha Hi/Lo
Buy-In: $2.00/$0.20
423 players
Total Prize Pool: $846.00
Tournament started - 2006/01/16 - 14:32:00 (ET)

Dear kaellinn18,

You finished the tournament in 34th place.
A $4.23 award has been credited to your Real Money account.


Now, $4.23 is not a lot of money, but I'm definitely proud of finishing in 34th place out of 423 people. I'd only played in the DADI Omaha H/L tournament before this one. I would have easily final tabled in this tournament, except that I got sucked out on three hands in a row. I went from 12th to bust that quickly. I'm starting to get good at picking out starting hands, and I look forward to playing more Omaha H/L in the future. I'm sure there will be another H/L DADI tournament, and I will be ready!

PS - I hit my highest hand ever in this game: a king high straight flush!

5 Comments:

  • congrats! i read a little bit of how to play and the basic strategies in omaha hi/low recently. it sounds like a crazy game. are there a lot of split pots between the hi and low hands?

    By Anonymous eric, at 1/17/2006 9:45 AM  

  • I'd say the pot is split a good bit of the time. It's always nice to scoop the whole thing, though. There was a hand in that tournament yesterday where four of us were betting hard, and in the end two people tied for the nut high hand and two tied for the nut low hand, so everyone got their money back. Craziness.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 1/17/2006 11:10 AM  

  • Congrats on finishing ITM. Way better than I could. After I missed the DADI, I was in the mood to try O8. I jumped into some ring games and lost my ass. I was getting low cards, but nothing on the high end. And to top it off, out of 5 pots where I had the nut low, I chopped the low 4 times! I've got to play more on the free tables to get a better feel for it before I jump into an O8 tournament. Glad you're doing well, tho. Keep it up.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 1/17/2006 12:51 PM  

  • 34th out of 423 is a good finish for an experienced Omaha player. Well done Matt!

    By Blogger Slimeface, at 1/17/2006 7:51 PM  

  • Glad I could help!

    By Blogger TripJax, at 1/19/2006 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home