Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

December 22, 2005

WWdN: Thursday Night Game

Well, this game sucked. I didn't even make it for half an hour. My pocket KK got cracked by pocket AA. The odds of that have to be insane. Here's the short transcript of my play.

10:30 We have 44 people playing tonight with a total prize pool of $440. All the major players are here; cards are in the air; let's rock! penner42 is at my table.

10:30 JJ first hand. Everyone folds to my initial raise.

10:32 It's a tight table. We have yet to see a turn card.

10:34 I've called the blinds a couple of times, but I've yet to hit anything. Need the good cards...

10:35 I hit a pair of Aces with my A9 in the SB.

10:37 Raised in late position with presto and bought the blinds.

10:42 Just donked off a bunch of chips with KQ and K10. Had lots of outs in both cases but never caught anything. I'm down to 750.

10:46 Just more than doubled up off penner42 with J5s when I hit a flush on the flop. He called with a set of 9s, and one other folded to my all in.

10:48 Raised in mid position with AJ offsuit. Guy to my left reraises to 180. Flop came Q 8 10 with two clubs. I checked, and the other guy bet out. Had to let it go.

10:51 Sigh. My KK just got busted by AA. Short game.

2 Comments:

  • the odds of getting any specific pocket pair (for example AA) is 220/1. my math isn't good enough to figure out how to apply that to you having a specific pocket pair at the same time as your opponent. i think it would depend on how many people are at your table, though.

    this site has a pretty interesting list of poker odds, though: http://www.homepokergames.com/odds.php

    By Anonymous eric, at 12/23/2005 9:49 AM  

  • In heads up action, the odds of your opponent having AA when you have KK is 1/44, but it has to be insanely higher at an eight person table. That's just the way the cards fall sometimes.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 12/23/2005 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home