Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

December 03, 2005

Riding "The Rush" And Mixing It Up

I've heard them talk about it before. I've seen it discussed over and over on TV, and I've seen it mentioned here and there in the games online. However, I had never experienced "The Rush" for myself until today. For the uninitiated, "The Rush" is basically being in the zone while you're playing poker. You're making correct calls, you're getting good reads, and you're taking pots.

And no one can stop you.

Sure, I've had good streaks. I've won tourneys and placed in the money many times. But the $5.00+$.50 SNG I played today was the first game that I KNEW I was going to win. That may come off as sounding kind of cocky, but I don't mean it that way; I could just feel it. By the time the first player went out of the game, I knew I was going to win it. All my reads were correct, and all my calls were good. This is not to say I won every hand; I lost many hands that game and was even close to being the short stack at one point. But I knew I was doing the right things, and in the end I won the game.

Now, it's also worth noting that this is also the first game where I really mixed up my play. I try to do it most of the time, but a lot of times I talk myself out of it. During this game I was calling raises with marginal cards and limping in with monsters and vice versa. I don't think anyone could get a solid read on me the entire game, and that made me dangerous. People started folding left and right. I would call to the river with middle pair because I knew the guy was trying to buy his way out of the pot. It was definitely a fun and challenging game to play, and I hope that it's not another year before it happens again.

Now I know what it feels like to be Gus Hansen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home