Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

December 28, 2005

Inaugural Donkeys Always Draw Invitational

Well, I didn't finish in the money, but it was the closest I've ever come in a blogger tourney. And if anyone was a donkey in this tournament, it was me. At the beginning at least. Read on for one rollercoaster of a ride to the final 20. I end up getting knocked out in 16th, seven places shy of the money.

9:00 Cards are live for the inaugural Donkeys Always Draw Invitational! We have 62 entries and $620 in the prize pool. Final table pays out. I see a lot of familiar faces on the entry list, and Slimeface and change100 are at my table. Let's rock!

9:01 I picked up A9o in early position for my first hand. I decided to fold to see how the table played. Sure enough, Slimeface picked up two pair with his AQ.

9:08 QJo in middle position. I 3x raise, and the BB calls. Three clubs come on the flop, and my Q is a club. BB checks, and I bet 90. He folds.

9:12 Got knocked down to 50 when I called JoeSpeaker's allin. I had a pair with a flush and straight draw. He had KK. I didn't improve.

9:14 Tripled up to 150 when my 34d caught a pair of 4s.

9:16 I tripled up again when my Ts held against change100's AK.

9:19 I TRIPLED UP AGAIN!! My QQ held up against jwendl's AK. This is an insane comeback. I hope I can keep it up. Currently sitting with 945.

9:22 I just knocked out jwendl when my JJ caught a set on the flop. I'm now up to 1770!

9:24 ScottMcMilla just got moved to my table. I have position on him though and a slight chip lead.

9:26 I raised with KJo in mid position. Slimeface called. Flop came T high, and I bet into it. Slimeface folded.

9:30 Scott just hit quad 5s to knock out ri0tact.

9:38 Just chopped a pot with HighOnPokr when our 6s both paired with the Qs and A on the board.

9:39 Slimeface just dropped to 5 when his JT fell to JoeSpeaker's two pair of 9s and Ts.

9:41 Slimeface tripled up when he hit a gutshot straight with his 3.

9:42 Slimeface just got knocked out when Scott's AJ beat his K9. I just got moved to a table with TripJax, Lady_Falcon, badblood44, and penner42. Holy crap.

9:44 Just did something stupid and donked off a bunch of chips with 9T. Ugh. Down to 840 and short stack at the table.

9:50 thebeerroom just knocked out Lady_Falcon and another player when all three went all in preflop. thebeerroom caught a straight with his 910. Taking out a set of Qs and a set of 7s. I got moved to a new table. Scott, TripJax, and S.t.B are here.

9:51 Doubled up when my 9Tc hit a flush on the turn. Had to go all in preflop, and I'm glad I caught. I was dominated by S.t.B's AT. I'm still in this thing!

9:54 Bought the blinds with AJ.

9:55 Bought the blinds with a min raise in first position with AK. Interesting...

9:59 Holy crap. I just flopped quad 5s against BigSlickNut and knocked him out. My (lifetime) third set of quads!

10:00 Ok we're at the first break. I'm sitting nicely now with 2705 and 17th place. There are currently 32 people left in the game. Will this be my lucky night to finally cash in a blogger tourney? Stay tuned!

10:07 GameC just dropped the hammer and a set of 7s, but mowenumdown trumped it when his KK hit a full house!

10:09 GameC just went out when his K6 ran into mowenumdown's KK...again.

10:15 I hit JJ in the hole, but flop came with AK against penner42. I decided to bet into it, even though he raised preflop. He folded. Must have caught him on the steal.

10:21 Bought the blinds with A4h. I'm pretty sure I've cemented myself as a tight player at the table now. Maybe time to make some moves.

10:24 Had to fold my hammer when S.t.B moved all in pre-flop :-(

10:27 Called the big blind with Ts in the hole. Flop came 622. TripJax bet out, and I came over the top. He folded.

10:30 GCox25 just busted out S.t.B when his AQ beat out KJ. We're down to 23 people.

10:31 Bought the blinds on the button with T7o.

10:34 I had A10 on the button. Flop came 399. Scott tried to make a move on me, and I came over the top. He folded. He says he had presto, but I don't believe him. I'm up to 4005 in chips.

10:36 Antes are in the game now. Stealing now is even more important.

10:42 We're down to 21 people. 12 more people go out, and I hit the money! Here's hoping...

10:46 Just doubled up against penner42 with 44

10:49 Had AK in late position and called a raise. Flop came all diamonds, and guy bets out hard. I had the K of diamonds, but I didn't want to risk him having the A or me not making my hand.

10:51 penneriii just got knocked out by change100's set of Qs. We're down to 16.

10:52 Well I just busted out with KTd to Scott's A10s. Neither of us caught anything, but he had the A. So close to hitting the money too. I'm out in 16th.


Looking back on the game, I don't think I played as bad as I thought I was playing during the actual tournament. I really only had the two suckouts: one with the 34d and the other when I caught my flush with the 9Tc. Other than that, I think I was playing rather well. I also managed to get my chips in when it counted most of the time. At least I keep improving. Hopefully I'll be hitting a final table in one of these blogger tourneys soon!

7 Comments:

  • Looks like you tripled up early in the tornament too bad you could not continue into the money table! Good job!

    By Anonymous Kipper, at 12/29/2005 11:02 AM  

  • Good times indeed. I couldn't even fathom live blogging this one with all the chat going on...

    Nice job getting to final 2 tables...

    Got ya linked up.

    By Blogger TripJax, at 12/29/2005 11:10 AM  

  • I don't technically "live blog" like in the way the Wil does. I just keep notes and then publish the whole thing after the game is over. Can't be giving people free reads on me by publishing in game! :-)

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 12/29/2005 11:48 AM  

  • I am the sorry sap that was known as jwendl at the tables last night. Damn your 3 4 for holding up so you had a chance to destroy me! Haha, I'm just kidding, you had a really nice run, well done, sorry you didn't hit the final table.

    I've got you linked now, I feel like I almost have to after the beating you put on me last night!

    If you have some free time, give http://checkitdown.blogspot.com a look see. I've got our 2 big hands in an animated hand history.

    By Blogger Joe, at 12/29/2005 2:05 PM  

  • Yo, I've started a private group/game on ESPN Fantasy Poker. I also gave you a shout out since your blog informed me of it. Check my blog for the details. Maybe you can join the group. Thanks.

    By Blogger HighOnPoker, at 12/29/2005 3:26 PM  

  • I had actually already created a group, Jordan. Can you belong to more than one group at a time? I started the WWdN one.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 12/29/2005 3:29 PM  

  • Hey Matt, I didn't know that was you playing at my table last night!? Oh well, you sure played better than me. LOL Good write-up by the way. Catch ya on the next one!

    By Blogger Slimeface, at 12/29/2005 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home