Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

November 15, 2005

The Slump

Well, I've hit the slump again. This is the time in every poker player's life where you just can't hit ANYTHING. The traps I set end up getting beaten by draws, and my bluffs end up getting me nothing. It's the time where poker stops being fun and starts to get a little frustrating. Ok, very frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I still love the game, but it's annoying to know you're making good plays and to still end up having nothing to show for it. Currently, my bankroll is less than $30.

Wil Wheaton has a terrific two part write-up over on CardSquad about his similar experiences, and it's almost as if I had written the article myself. Everyone hits the slump once in a while, but the reason we play the game is because we love it, and we enjoy the company of the people we play with. I can honestly say that I don't mind losing $11 in the WWdN Friday night games. The fun time I have in these games with online acquaintances can only be matched by the real life games I play at home with close friends. If I happen to come in the money (which I haven't yet in these WWdN tourneys), then it's just an added bonus.

So, what does the future hold for me now? Well, that would be $5+$.50 one-table sit-and-go tournaments until I've built a decent bank roll back up. I've been down this low before and made a come back. In fact, when I was over on PartyPoker, I built myself up to $400+ from $6 before eventually losing it all again over the course of several months. Does the money matter to me? Sure, a little, but mostly because it's my ticket to more fun, not because I'm trying to buy a huge flat panel TV or a new car. Will I bust out? Definitely... eventually. But when I bust out this time, I plan on doing it with my last $11 in the company of the wonderful poker blogger community that shows up for the WWdN Friday night tournaments.

And I'll tell you one thing: I'll never be so happy to go broke as I will then.

3 Comments:

  • so is wwdn a different site you play instead of partypoker now, or what?

    By Anonymous eric, at 11/16/2005 9:23 AM  

  • No, I still play on PokerStars. WWdN stands for "Wil Wheaton Dot Net," which is Wil Wheaton's personal blog. He hosts a tournament every Friday night on PokerStars for people who read his blog and are interested in playing.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 11/16/2005 10:45 AM  

  • ahh, makes sense. pretty cool.

    By Anonymous eric, at 11/17/2005 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home