Poker Through the Eyes of an Amateur

November 02, 2005

Late Post

I played in a $30+$3 rebuy tournament on Sunday to qualify for the Foxwoods WPT finals, but I didn't feel like writing about it then. I was kind of fed up with 1) how I played a few hands and 2) how I was eliminated. I ended up rebuying one time, which is normally something I don't do. My typical thoughts on rebuy tournaments are that if I can't make it through the first hour without busting out, I don't really deserve to continue playing. However, I made an exception this one time since it was for the WPT.

I did alright for the first half hour or so, gaining a little bit of chips and watching everyone else go all in with J7o and other such stupidity. I gotta tell you, rebuy tourneys definitely bring out the geniuses. The unfortunate part about this is that it is tough to avoid sinking to their level of betting, because it gets old folding to all-ins pre-flop when you have a good hand. Eventually you just get so pissed off you have to call, and that's usually when the bad beat comes along.

The first time I busted out was when I had 10s in the hole. I should have gone all in from the get-go, as it had been called around to me on the button, but I didn't. I just raised it a standard amount, and it ended up costing me when someone caught a straight (I think; maybe it was a flush?). I decided to rebuy since there was still a half hour to do so, and also because it's a chance to get on the WPT. I mean, come on.

The second time I busted out was just before the first hour was up, and I just gave up after this. I had KK in the hole. It was called around to me, and I made a hefty raise. It folded around to another guy who went all in, which would force me all in if I called. I did, of course, and he showed his dominated 8s. Before the flop even showed up, I knew I would get bad beat out of the hand. I could feel it; I knew it was going to happen. I was safe until the river, when, sure enough, another 8 showed up. That kind of thing just infuriates me.

Anyway, I'm still waiting on my iPod, which should arrive sometime next week. It took them a while to get back to me, but that's understandable since they had to personally contact almost a hundred players. My little bankroll is around $125 as of this morning, mostly due to blowing $60+ on that tourney. But that's the main reason I'm playing on PokerStars right now: I'd like to qualify for one of the big money tourneys. I'll just have to keep on grinding to get the entry fees to the satellites. So far it's been working out.

1 Comments:

  • i just found this linked off courtney's page. pretty interesting stuff. congrats on the ipod! just look out for those bad beats (although they're what make poker a game, and not straight statistics).

    By Anonymous eric, at 11/04/2005 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home